Desmond Evans, 5-star 2020 defensive end, picks Mack Brown and UNC football

Mack Brown spring game
Head football coach Mack Brown returns to the locker room with his team during the spring football game in Kenan Memorial Stadium on Saturday April 13, 2019.

Desmond Evans, a 5-star 2020 defensive end and the No. 1 recruit in the state of North Carolina, will attend UNC, he announced today.

The Sanford native chose the Tar Heels over Florida, Virginia Tech, Tennessee and South Carolina — the other four teams in his final list — and became the first top-ranked player from North Carolina to stay in-state since fellow Tar Heel Elijah Hood in 2014. 

With his commitment, North Carolina now has the No. 18 recruiting class in the country for 2020, according to 247Sports. The class includes seven 4-star prospects, led by fellow defensive linemen Myles Murphy and Kedrick Bingley-Jones.

But Evans — the No. 22 player in the country — is undoubtedly head coach Mack Brown's biggest get in his second tenure in Chapel Hill. He's the highest-ranked recruit for the Tar Heels since Marvin Austin in 2007, and figures to be a dominant force as soon as he steps foot on campus. 

247Sports' player profile says Evans is "long-limbed, built like a basketball power forward, and owns a high-level first step and initial quickness off the ball." He posted 12 sacks as a junior last year to go along with 25 tackles for loss.

Evans will join a defensive line that has posted 13 sacks in six games so far in 2019, and a Tar Heel team that is 3-3 this year with a 2-1 mark in the ACC.

@ryantwilcox