Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Durham Parks and Rec. will 'disable the label' by celebrating those with disabilities

disable the label.JPG

Khori Bledsoe performs at a previous DisABLE the Label event. Photo courtesy of Kristen Randall.

Editor's note (10/20): Due to a Plumbing issue at Lyon Park Durham Parks and Recreation is postponing Disable the Label until the spring. 

October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month, which means Durham Parks and Recreation is gearing up for its annual DisABLE the Label event.

The program is happening at the recreation center at The Community Family Life and Recreation Center at Lyon Park on Saturday, Oct.19. The one day event focuses on celebrating people with disabilities and features performances from community members who have disabilities, said DPR Recreation Coordinator Kristen Randall.

“It's inspirational for parents to see, because they might have a child that's really musically gifted and don't really know what to do with that," Randall said. "I mean, look at Kodi Lee on America's Got Talent."

One of the performers at this year’s DisABLE the Label is pianist Khori Bledsoe. Khori began playing piano when he was 9 years old and has never received any formal training. Now 25, he continues to share his gift with people around the community, said Shaunesi Reed-Bledsoe, his mother.

“We've always introduced him to different types of music because he is visually impaired and he has autism, so we realized that rhythm and music and sound were a great interest to him,” Reed-Bledsoe said. “Any opportunity we found that would allow him to participate has not only been good for the people who received his gift through music, it's been good for him too because it's something that he enjoys.”

Reed-Bledsoe said Khori is able to share his music through DisABLE the Label. She said the event is an opportunity to experience the talent that many people with disabilities have, something that is not always highlighted in the community.

“It's good for people to see that people with disabilities can do just as many things as other people if they're given the opportunity,” Reed-Bledsoe said. “We're surprised a lot of time at just how much they can do.”

October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month, a campaign that aims to bring awareness to employment inequality for disabled people and celebrate workers with disabilities around the United States. It is also an opportunity for people with disabilities and their families to find organizations that support their specific needs, something DisABLE the Label is promoting. 

“It’s a great opportunity for people to come and get information that they may not know about and that can really benefit the health and wellness, or mental status or physical status, whatever their child needs in terms of support to better their life,” Randall said. 

The event will include booths set up by an array of different vendors with information and representatives promoting access to programs that are specific to different disabilities. It will be emceed by Patricia Murray, also known as DJ Piddipat.

Murray said DisABLE the Label is just as much for parents and loved ones as it is for people with disabilities, and that the event fosters an atmosphere of encouragement for the community.

“It’s sad to see children merely watching when they want to participate,” Murray said. “Many parents need to be encouraged to let their kids try. It’s just participation in life.”

Murray said that she had seen DisABLE the Label provide access to this kind of encouragement in the past and hopes the event sees the same kind of success this year.

“It's really scary to see your child fall, but very often kids get right back up,” Murray said. “They need to at least be given a chance to try something different and to realize that they really are part of the community”

Randall said that while the event focuses on celebrating individuals with disabilities and providing resources and encouragement for their families, it is also an opportunity for people who are not familiar with disabilities to get acquainted with the community.

“It’s an opportunity just to celebrate with us and to hear some pretty fun entertainers,” Randall said. “It brings awareness to people who are not always around individuals with disabilities. It's an opportunity to see that they can be just as fun as everybody else.”