Most students could only dream of being put-up in the Carolina Inn for a couple of nights. For students living in Granville Towers, a moldy air conditioning unit is all that's necessary to make that happen. When it comes to students living on campus, however, the accommodations they receive for a mold outbreak in their room are much less glamorous.
Last week, The Daily Tar Heel reported that Granville Towers is temporarily relocating its residents as it deals with mold in its heating, ventilation and air conditioning system.
The mold uncovered in Granville Towers has all types of icky names like aspergillus/penicillium, cladosporium, fusarium, chaetomium, stachybotrys, trichoderma and ulocladium mold species. The symptoms of prolonged exposure to this mold are similarly icky: eye irritation, nasal stuffiness, chronic coughing and sneezing, wheezing or rashes.
In response, Granville is placing groups of students in local hotels for 48 hours each on a rolling basis while it treats their suites. For those who are awaiting a room cleaning, High Efficiency Particulate Air filters have been placed in rooms to remove mold spores from the air.
Though Granville’s response to the mold issue was slow at first, and moving out of one's room could be disrupting to students' sleep in the midst of midterm season, being put-up in a hotel room isn't all that bad when you consider how students in dorms are being impacted by mold.