Halloween? How about Hallow-eno! Durham Parks and Rec to celebrate spooky season

Hallow-eno pumpkins

Pumpkins featured at a previous Hallow-eno event. Photo courtesy of Cassandra Bennett.

Seeking to offer a safer alternative to trick-or-treating for children and a fun evening activity for families, Durham Parks and Recreation will be holding its 31st Hallow-Eno.

Hallow-Eno, which takes place at West Point on the Eno, runs from 6 to 9 p.m. on Halloween night.

Caitlin Avinger, recreation assistant supervisor for Durham Parks and Recreation, said the event is designed for children ages 3-12, but is open to anyone who wants to attend.

“We publicize it as 3-12 because a lot of the actual content of the activities are younger based, but certainly, being out in the historic area at night feels very special, and it’s certainly a community-based event,” Avinger said. “Even if folks don’t have kids and they just wanna come out for the night and enjoy the Halloween feel, they’re encouraged to come.” 

The event offers many activities in a fair-type atmosphere for kids who may not want to go trick-or-treating, or for members of the community who want a safer environment on Halloween, said Jeff Forde, recreation manager for Durham Parks and Recreation. 

“It’s a family-friendly event,” Forde said. “You’ve got face painting, hayrides, trick-or treating and then you have games.” 

Beth Highley, who created the first Hallow-Eno in 1989, said that in her 31-year career with the city of Durham, this event was always her favorite. 

“It was always such a special thing, because it was such a successful event from day one,” Highley said. “It is a magical event to be out at that park at night with lit pumpkins and luminaries; it’s just a magical atmosphere.” 

Including the kids, parents and other community members who attend, Hallow-Eno gets about 1,000 attendees each year — and it has been this popular since the beginning.

The event isn’t only enjoyed by families, but the Durham Parks and Recreation staff takes joy in participating, as well, Avinger said. 

“It’s just a great event and a lot of the Durham Parks and Recreation staff come out and help each year, so it’s just a really great experience for them,” Avinger said. “The enthusiasm of the staff over the years, they really just put in so much joy and love into the event.” 

Because Hallow-Eno will be celebrating its 31st year on Thursday, traditions were constantly kept in mind when planning the event, Avinger said. 

“There were kids who came to this event and it was sort of like their childhood experience, and now they’re bringing their kids back,” Avinger said. “It’s sort of become this thing where families have embraced it as their tradition, which is really exciting, and I think that’s really what keeps it going.”

Although the event is targeted towards children, it’s important that their parents and other adults who are attending take the time to enjoy the event, as well, Forde said. 

“This event gives you the opportunity to make a connection with your child,” Forde said. “We, as adults, need to kick more and go back into our youth years and what we enjoyed when we were kids.”

@Sarah_campbs