Learn why Wilson Library isn't as scary as you think with its Hallowzine Open House

hallowzine-wilson-library.jpg
Wilson Library is hosting a Hallowzine Open House, displaying their Halloween-themed books with activities such as button-making and a costume contest. Photo courtesy of Kiana Webster.

Despite Wilson Library's intimidating exterior, it's home to a large variety of materials, from a music library to rare books — and even Halloween events. 

This Halloween, Wilson Library will host a Hallowzine Open House where rare books will be on display and attendees can make their own buttons and zines, as well as participate in a book-themed costume contest. 

Zines are small, self-published works with art and text used to spread art, ideas and information.

“A lot of students think (Wilson Library) is the graduate library,” said Nadia Clifton, special collections engagement librarian at Wilson Library. “They think that they need to be a graduate or have a project to come in and look at materials.”

Everyone is welcome to come into Wilson Library and look at materials, Clifton said.

“This is a fun occasion for them to learn more about (Wilson Library) and get into the Halloween spirit,” Clifton said.

This year's Hallowzine event combines two Halloween-themed events from previous years. Those two events were a Halloween zine and button making event and a Halloween open house rare book display at the Health Sciences Library, which primarily showcased books focused on anatomy, said Dawne Howard Lucas, technical services archivist at the Wilson Special Collections Library.

“Anytime we have a display of rare books, or just a display of special collections materials at Wilson Library, everyone really has a lot of fun and it’s a memorable event,” Lucas said.

The books on display at the event will range from publication in the 1500s to modern day, said Kiana Webster, a graduate fellow for the rare book collection.

“The materials are pulled from all over our collections, and they have a bunch of different spooky topics,” Webster said. “And then the zines are a creative activity for people to do.”

One rare book that will be on display is the first edition of a landmark anatomical text from 1543,  Lucas said. 

This book is Andreas Vesalius’ "De Humani Corporis Fabrica."

Before Vesalius, the leading authority on anatomy was Greek physician Galen of Pergamum. Galen was only allowed to dissect animals, due to a ban on human dissection in Rome. So, most anatomical knowledge was based on animals other than humans. 

Vesalius corrected many of Galen’s errors and revolutionized a new understanding of anatomy, Lucas said. 

The event will have six themes — Egypt and Mummies, Gothic Fiction, Demons, Anatomy and Physiology, Witchcraft and Magic and Tarot and Palmistry, Webster said. 

“This event is a really good opportunity to be creative and to interact with more of the unusual things we have in our collections here at Wilson," Webster said. "It’s also good for them to take a break from their studies and just do something fun and social.” 

The Hallowzine Open House will be located in the Fearrington Reading Room of Wilson Library on Thursday from 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.

"We picked Halloween as the holiday to host this event because we have a lot of material in our collections that relate to a bunch of different peoples’ interests," Webster said. "Spookiness and horror is such a large topic."

@Emmatcraig