Kay Hagan, former U.S. Senator from North Carolina, dies at 66

Sen. Kay Hagan waves to the crowd.

Sen. Kay Hagan waves to the crowd.

Kay Hagan, former U.S. Senator from North Carolina, died Monday at the age of 66.

In 2016, Hagan was diagnosed with encephalitis, an inflammation of the brain, and died Monday morning from complications with the disease.

“We already miss her humor and spirit as the hub of our family, a role she loved more than anything," Hagan’s family said in the statement. "Nobody could light up a room and make people feel welcome like Kay.”

Hagan represented Guilford County in the N.C. Senate from 1999 to 2009 before serving in the U.S. Senate from 2009 to 2015. Her 2008 campaign victory was considered an upset against incumbent Republican Sen. Elizabeth Dole. 

N.C. Rep. Graig Meyer, representing Orange County in the N.C. House, tweeted in response to the news on Monday. 

“I am heartbroken to hear of the loss of Sen. Kay Hagan. She fought hard for the people of North Carolina & had hope for a better future for all of us,” his tweet said.

After losing a close re-election bid to current Sen. Thom Tillis in 2014, Hagan became a resident fellow at the Harvard Institute of Politics. With over $120 million spent by all candidates, it was the most expensive Senate race in history at the time.

Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., who served with Hagan in the Senate, also released a statement on Monday.

“In our time as Senate colleagues, we worked across the aisle together frequently on issues that we both knew would determine what type of country our children would inherit, from conservation to our common defense," he said. "She tackled everything she did with a passion and a sense of humor that will be missed.”

Hagan visited Chapel Hill when she was a senator. During her 2014 campaign, she held a campaign event outside Gerrard Hall on UNC’s campus. 

Interim UNC-System President Bill Roper said in a statement that Hagan's spirit and charisma were always welcome and inspiring.

"As both a N.C. and a U.S. senator she was a champion for the military and their families, for those seeking healthcare, for consumers and for those less fortunate," he said. "She was a fearless public servant for the people of North Carolina, and a true friend. Our sincerest condolences go out to her family during this time. We will remember her fondly and miss her greatly.”

@MichaelJTaffe