Sorry there was no column last week — I was too busy crafting a carefully-worded apology to the business school for publically mentioning its whiteness and maleness…

Just kidding; it’s actually because I’m lazy. I know, I know, everyone was calling and texting me like, “Mary Drue! Are you okay?” or “Where’s your column? I spend all week looking forward to it!” Okay fine, only my mom noticed, but still.

Anyway, I got a fair amount of negative comments and reactions from my piece two weeks ago about how some men judge their sexual partners based on weight. Honestly, the comments and emails kind of pissed me off. 

One main complaint was that women also have arbitrary biases and measurements that they hold against their sexual partners. So, I’m going to explain by saying what every parent tells their child that defends themselves by pointing out the wrongdoing of their sibling — this is not about your sibling; this is about you! 

Can women be problematic? Hell yes! But that wasn’t what my article was about. Maybe, if people had any ounce of patience, they could've waited for my future pieces questioning why women don’t pursue shorter men and why height ratios are so important to heteronormativity. 

But, you played yourself. Now you’ve gotten me riled up, and I’m spending another week not coming to the defense of men. Oh well. 

On to my fans’ second argument: Are people to blame for their individual sexual preferences? People apparently got so offended that they didn’t read the final two paragraphs of the last article. Once again, I repeat: Sexuality is socially constructed.

Therefore, no, your personal preferences are neither innate nor unchangeable. In fact, I argue that we should all examine our biases and reflect on where they come from. 

According to a 2019 study (the largest of its kind), scientists estimate that sexuality is up to 75 percent based on environmental factors. But, you know, people still don’t believe in climate change, so I understand supporting an argument with scientific fact is no longer sufficient.

The point of my article was less “men are trash” (that’s slated for January) and more “society makes us believe that fat is undesirable and develop irrelevant ideas about sex.” 

So, I’m not trying to blame the origins of fat-shaming on any one gender! I promise. I think we can all be on the same side here, actually, and encourage humanity to be less ass-holeish. My roadmap to getting there is through a critical reflection of society and the way we let it influence our values.