Tar Heels in the pros: Veterans and rookies alike leaving their marks in MLB

Zac Gallen (23) throws a pitch against Notre Dame. No. 17 North Carolina defeated Notre Dame 8-1 on Monday, May 16, 2016. 

As the Astros, Cardinals, Nationals and Yankees all vie for a spot in this year's World Series and the 2019 MLB season approaches its end, it's time for a look back at the former Tar Heels who had the biggest impacts on the league this year.

Andrew Miller

The veteran is in his 14th season in the majors, but in his first with the St. Louis Cardinals. Coming out of the bullpen, the 34-year-old lefty has been solid in his 54.2 innings of action this season despite having a limited role with his new team.

The former Tar Heel has only allowed 45 hits and given up 27 walks in his 73 appearances this year. Miller has capitalized on his short time on the mound, notching 70 strikeouts this season for the fifth-highest mark of his career.

In the three postseason innings that Miller has thrown for the Cardinals this year, he's fanned three batters and hasn't allowed a single hit.

Kyle Seager

Like Miller, the former third-round pick is one of the more seasoned former Tar Heels in the majors. The third baseman's ninth MLB season got off to a rough start before it even began when he had to have surgery to repair a tendon in his left hand.

After missing the first 53 games of the season, Seager returned to Seattle's lineup to hit 2-for-4 with a double against the Oakland Athletics.

The highlight of the third baseman's season was a month-long span from mid-July to mid-August in which Seager picked up at least one hit in 24 out of 25 games for a total of 33 during the impressive run.

Colin Moran

Moran has blossomed since the former Tar Heel arrived in Pittsburgh in early 2018. The former sixth overall pick managed only 37 plate appearances from 2016-17 with the Houston Astros. Since the start of the 2018 season, though, Moran has picked up 244 hits and 138 runs batted in.

The third baseman slashed .277/.322/.429 in his second year with the Pirates with some standout performances throughout the season.

In an 18-5 win against the Cubs on July 1, Moran hit 5-for-5 with two runs, two doubles and a pair of RBIs. Just five days later, the former Tar Heel went 4-for-5 with three runs batted in against the Brewers in a 12-2 win.

Zac Gallen

Gallen is the only Tar Heel who significantly contributed to two different teams last season. The 24-year-old proved to both the Diamondbacks and Marlins that he has what it takes to be a professional starting pitcher.

The right-hander was called up from the minors in the middle of June and was able to strike out at least eight batters in seven of his 15 appearances in the majors this year.

@McMastersJ