UNC football snaps losing streak vs. Duke with dramatic 20-17 win

unc-duke-football
Junior running back Michael Carter (8) runs the ball in the homecoming game against Duke on Saturday, Oct. 26, 2019 in Kenan Memorial Stadium. UNC defeated Duke 20-17 for the first time in three years.

The North Carolina football team (4-4, 3-2 ACC) knocked off Duke (4-4, 2-3 ACC) in Chapel Hill on Saturday in dramatic fashion, giving Mack Brown his 73rd career victory at UNC to become the winningest coach in program history.

After a Sam Howell interception midway through the first quarter, the Blue Devils went 68 yards before their drive stalled at the UNC 1-yard line. The Tar Heel defense held strong and benefitted from a false start penalty, forcing Duke to settle for a field goal with 4:33 to go in the first quarter.

That seemed to serve as a wake-up call for a lethargic North Carolina offense. On the ensuing drive, Howell found receiver Beau Corrales streaking downfield for a 29-yard touchdown, which gave the Tar Heels a 7-3 advantage. 

But a pair of punts, then a missed 52-yard field goal attempt by first-year Jonathan Kim, the first of his career, kept the UNC lead at four going into halftime.

North Carolina struck quickly after the break, putting together a one-minute, 37-second touchdown drive to go up 14-3. After running back Michael Carter went for back-to-back runs of 16 and 17 yards, Howell threw a bomb to receiver Dazz Newsome for a 47-yard score.

The Blue Devils responded with a more methodical touchdown drive of their own, going 74 yards in 10 plays. At the 8:57 mark of the third quarter, UNC led 14-10.

On the next play from scrimmage, though, Howell’s pass was batted at the line of scrimmage and intercepted by safety Jalen Alexander, setting the Blue Devils up at the UNC 7-yard line. Quarterback Quentin Harris punched it in on the next play to put Duke up 17-14.

A UNC field goal attempt – this time from Noah Ruggles, who started every other game for the Tar Heels this season – was good from 34 yards, tying the game with 3:59 to go in the third period.

The next points of the game also came from Ruggles, this time from 40 yards out and with exactly seven minutes to play. After a Duke three-and-out, the Tar Heels marched all the way to the Blue Devil 6-yard line before sophomore Javonte Williams fumbled on a run up the middle.

North Carolina, clinging to a three-point lead, now needed a defensive stand to win the game.

The Blue Devils converted on a fourth and four in UNC territory then, aided by pass interference and face mask penalties, made their way to the UNC 3-yard line with 21 seconds to play. Another pass interference gave Duke a fresh set of downs, and Duke needed just two yards to win the game.

The next play will go down in North Carolina lore: Harris handed it off to Duke running back Deon Jackson, who went for a Tim Tebow-esque jump pass that was intercepted by Chazz Surratt. The pick by Surratt, a one-time Duke quarterback commit turned UNC linebacker, sealed the win for the Tar Heels and snapped a three-game losing streak against the Blue Devils.

The Tar Heels dominated in the run game, rushing for 205 yards and averaging 4.6 yards per carry. Williams led the way with 111 yards, while Carter added 64 yards.

Surratt led North Carolina in tackles with 12, and added a sack and the game-sealing interception for good measure.

When Surratt's pick, reminiscent of Malcolm Butler's in Super Bowl XLIX, gave the Tar Heels the ball with 14 seconds left and a three-point lead.

With the win, North Carolina avoided dropping four straight games to the rival Blue Devils for the first time since the 1950s. The Tar Heels now sit at 3-2 in conference with a home tilt against Virginia next week for the top spot in the ACC Coastal Division.

Mack Brown recorded his 73rd career win at North Carolina, passing Dick Crum for the most in UNC football history. It was also Brown’s ninth consecutive victory against Duke, going back to his first tenure with the Tar Heels.

The Tar Heels will face off against the Cavaliers (5-3, 3-2 ACC) on Saturday in a battle for Coastal supremacy at 7:30 p.m.

@ryantwilcox