UNC field hockey downs Wake Forest, 3-1, to set ACC record for consecutive wins

20191004_Katsanis_MarissaCreatore-4.JPG
Marissa Creatore playing against Duke. The Chapel Hill native scored two goals in the game against Wake Forest.

Senior forward Marissa Creatore scored two goals as the No. 1 North Carolina field hockey team sets an ACC-record with 36 consecutive wins by defeating No. 20 Wake Forest.  

The Tar Heels got their first goal just over three minutes into the match. 

Creatore deflected a ball sent by sophomore Erin Matson into the cage for her tenth goal of the season, a new career high. The Chapel Hill native had just nine goals all through last season. 

The lead rose to two goals when Creatore scored her second of the game right before halftime. Matson made a great pass from the left baseline that the senior forward tipped past the Wake Forest goalkeeper Isla Bint. 

After a scoreless third quarter, Matson scored the team’s third goal of the game. Senior Yentl Leemans collected a rebounded ball and passed it to an open Matson for a 3-0 edge. 

The Deamon Deacons cut the lead back down to two after a goal in the 56th minute by Anne van Hoof who scored off a corner play and was assisted by Meike Lanckohr and Kelsey Gill. 

However, UNC held on the remaining five and a half minutes to earn its record-breaking victory. 

Creatore was huge for the Tar Heels, tallying two goals, including the game-winner. She was a big factor in North Carolina’s potent offensive attack. 

Matson also had a terrific game, scoring or assisting on all three of North Carolina's goals. She is UNC's highest goal scorer this season, leading second place Catherine Hayden by nine goals. 

She fed Creatore for both of her goals and scored her 21st of the season to put the game out of reach. Like Creatore, she also surpassed her previous career high for goals scored in a season. The sophomore scored 20 goals through 23 games last season, first on the championship team. 

Creatore’s second goal before halftime gave UNC a more comfortable heading into the second half. It helped the team carry a big boost of momentum into the locker room. 

The goal ended up being the deciding score, keeping North Carolina’s undefeated season alive.

The Tar Heels have now passed Maryland for the most consecutive wins in their conference. The Terrapins set the record during the 2008 and 2009 seasons. The Terrapins won 35 games in a row before losing in the 2009 NCAA Championship game, hosted by Wake Forest in Winston Salem. 

UNC was the team that beat them. On Friday, North Carolina brought down Maryland’s ACC-best streak at the stadium where it was set. 

The Tar Heels controlled the pace of the game. They had the majority of the chances, outshooting the Deacon Demons 16-5. They kept the ball on their side of the pitch, preventing their opposition from putting pressure on the defense. 

The win also marks the team’s eighth ranked win of the season.

UNC hosts Liberty in another ranked matchup on Sunday, October 20 at 1 p.m.

@ryanheller23