UNC gets back on track with 38-22 win at Georgia Tech

UNCvs.Clemson-422.jpg
UNC running back Javonte Wiliams (25) gains yardage during the football game against Clemson on Saturday, Sept. 28th, 2019 at Kenan Memorial Stadium.

For just the second time since 1997, the North Carolina football team (3-3, 2-1 ACC) defeated Georgia Tech (1-4, 0-2 ACC) on the road on Saturday. The Tar Heel offense impressed, running 97 plays and accumulating 587 total yards en route to a 38-22 victory.

After a Sam Howell interception halted UNC's opening drive, the Tar Heel offense got the ball back and drove downfield, eventually settling for a 32-yard field goal to take a 3-0 lead.

The next three drives proved to be uneventful, as both teams punted each time. UNC ended the scoring drought with a 68-yard touchdown drive that lasted 10:25. North Carolina capped it off with a 20-yard touchdown pass from Howell to Dazz Newsome to take a 10-0 lead with 6:30 remaining in the half.

The Tar Heels struck again right before the halftime whistle. With just 13 seconds remaining in the second quarter, Howell hit Beau Corrales in the endzone for a six-yard touchdown pass. 

That touchdown gave UNC a commanding 17-0 lead going into halftime.

Coming out of the break, the North Carolina defense continued to dominate, forcing Georgia Tech into a three-and-out. The Tar Heels then drove 45 yards down the field to get Noah Ruggles a 39-yard field goal attempt. However, he missed the field goal and the ball turned over to the Yellow Jackets.

That must have given Georgia Tech momentum, as the team marched down the field on the next possession for its first score of the game. They capped off the drive with a 28-yard touchdown pass.

It took 8:11 for another score but UNC, extended its lead at the start of the fourth quarter. Howell found Dyami Brown in the corner of the end zone for a 18-yard pass touchdown to extend the North Carolina lead to 24-7.

Following the UNC touchdown, the Yellow Jackets quickly marched 73 yards downfield on just five plays to score a touchdown. Georgia Tech then completed a two-point conversion to make the score 24-15.

What was a defensive battle early on was now turning into a shootout, as UNC scored again on its next possession. Howell tossed the ball to tight end Garrett Walston, who dove past the pylon for a 16-yard score that gave the Tar Heels a 31-15 lead with 9:53 remaining.

The North Carolina defense got a stop on its next drive, then conducted a methodical drive that lasted 5:57 and ended in a three-yard touchdown run for Javonte Williams to put the game out of reach.

A Georgia Tech touchdown with 1:45 remaining wasn't enough, and North Carolina would leave Atlanta with a win to get back to .500.

Sam Howell had a career day at quarterback. The first-year completed 33 passes on 51 attempts for 376 yards. He also threw four touchdown passes.

Running back Javonte WIlliams also had an impressive day, rushing 17 times for 138 yards and a touchdown.

Though the Yellow Jackets made things interesting in the second half, the Tar Heel offense was able to continue manufacturing points to keep Georgia Tech at bay. Williams' touchdown run all but sealed the win for UNC.

UNC is now 2-1 in the ACC, and still very much in control of its own destiny in the Coastal division. North Carolina is also only three wins away from being bowl eligible, and looking like a different team after its close loss to No. 1 Clemson last week.

The Tar Heels have a bye next week before traveling to Virginia Tech on Oct. 19 for a crucial divisional matchup. 

@matt_chilson