UNC jazz players will play with special guest Ricardo Pascal in their next concert

UNC Jazz Combos

Musician Ricardo Pascal performing alongside student jazz players. Photo courtesy of Jim Ketch.

UNC student jazz players will be performing on Oct. 4 at 4 p.m. with a guest artist, Ricardo Pascal, at James and Susan Moeser Auditorium in Hill Hall. This event is free and open to the public.

UNC jazz combos consist of a group of experienced students who play their music from memory or improvisation. 

“I think one thing that kind of sets combo playing apart from being in a big band is the freedom associated with it," said student saxophonist Nick Sengstaken. "It's more based off heavy improvisation, which allows us to kind of expand the charts beyond what's just on the paper."

Sengstaken will be performing at the event alongside Olivia Fernandez, a guitarist.

Fernandez said that about twice a month, jazz combo students get the opportunity to perform with an experienced guest artist. On Sept. 26, jazz students performed with Mark Tonelli, a guitarist who writes original music, arranges music and is a professor at Millikin University in Illinois.

“It was great, it was packed for most of the night." Tonelli said. "There was a really good audience. We premiered a piece on world premiere last night called 'Forest By The Circle.' So the UNC audience got to hear that song. They were the first in the world to hear that song.” 

This week’s guest artist is Ricardo Pascal, a professional saxophonist from New Orleans who played in the Modern Jazz Generation and the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra. 

“Ricardo Pascal is an incredibly gifted player," Sengstaken said. "It's going to be a phenomenal show."

Sengstaken said that this Friday night students can expect about three tunes from each combo depending on how long they are. At least one or two of of the songs will feature the guest artist.

“I remember we had Sara Caswell here, my sophomore year, right around the time that she was nominated for a Grammy for the best improvised solo that year," Sengstaken said. "So to be able to sit next to that person, learn from that person, hear that person play, and then have that person critique your playing is just phenomenal. It really, it's something that sets us apart. We're really lucky to have such incredible people coming twice a semester."

Ramunė Marcinkevičiūtė, a vocalist who also will be performing, said she is a pre-business major, but she’s on the jazz combos simply due to her love of jazz and the learning experience she gets while being in the combos.

“I just love jazz, and I get to sing with these experienced and wonderful musicians. The experience is just amazing. I can't even put it into words, but it's — it's surreal,” Marcinkevičiūtė said.

Marcinkevičiūtė said one of her favorite parts of being in the jazz combos is getting feedback from instrumentalists who help her see things from their view. She also said she would love to have a guest vocalist be featured in the band next.

“There are really talented students here," Tonelli said. "Anytime I get to work with great students, it's always a treat for me."