UNC volleyball tops off Alumni Day with victory against Boston College

20191027_Tran_VballBC.jpg

UNC freshman outside hitter Lauren Harrison (25) spikes the ball during the Tar Heels' 3-0 win against the Boston College Eagles on Sunday, Oct. 27, 2019 in Carmichael Arena in Chapel Hill. UNC beat Boston College 3-0. 

The stands in Carmichael Arena were packed with alumni and expectations were high for the North Carolina volleyball team (10-10, 7-3 ACC) on Sunday before the team won 3-0 against Boston College (16-7, 7-3 ACC). 

The Tar Heels were coming off an emotional week in which head coach Joe Sagula was named to the North Carolina Volleyball Hall of Fame. 

“(Sagula) is a very loving guy,” first-year Parker Austin said. “He really cares about us as people, more than just volleyball players."

Adding to the emotional day was the fact that North Carolina was also hosting its Alumni Day. Throughout the match, celebrations were held to honor contributions from former players who lined the stands. 

“There were a lot of things going on this weekend,” Sagula said. “Our players focused, dialed in and did not let the distractions get to them.” 

UNC left little doubt in Sunday’s match, defeating Boston College in three straight sets and only allowing the Eagles to reach 20 points once. Underclassmen carried most of the offensive load for the team, with Austin continuing to stand out for UNC. She led the team with 15 kills. 

Austin was aided in her offensive efforts by senior Skylar Wine, who finished the match with eight kills. Wine, who transferred to UNC from Pacific after her sophomore season, is one of only three seniors on a young North Carolina team. 

“As a team, we’ve really done well at staying focused,” Wine said. “Everyone has taken their role and taken everything they can into helping this team be successful, and it's working."

In the first two sets, the opponents exchanged leads throughout. In both cases, the Tar Heels' energy led them to pull away for victories, winning 25-17 and 25-16 to take a 2-0 lead going into the third set. With the bench celebrating after points, alumni being honored throughout the game, and the momentum of two straight victories, North Carolina appeared dominant

This energy was best exemplified in the third set, when North Carolina tied the game at 2-2 and never conceded the lead to the Eagles again, taking a 25-20 victory to end the match. More young Tar Heels impressed, with redshirt first-year Lauren Harrison finishing with nine kills for the match and first-year Carly Peck finishing with seven. 

“What this team has come from with where we were on Aug. 30, and where we are on almost Oct. 30, two months later, is amazing,” Sagula said. “It’s exciting to see this come together.” 

Sagula, the winningest coach in UNC volleyball history, has helped turn the Tar Heels around after posting their first losing season since 2009 last year. After a 1-7 start, it appeared North Carolina would suffer another year of turmoil, but UNC’s young talent has meshed well into the historically successful program and driven the team back to a 10-10 record. 

After the third set ended, UNC volleyball alumni filed onto the court to celebrate with the team by singing “Hark the Sound.” Sagula, who is now in his 30th season at UNC, was both proud of the past and excited for the future following Sunday’s match. 

“To see the future of our program do that, then to have our alumni in the stands,” Sagula said. “It was kind of surreal.”

@zachycrain