Tar Heels topple FSU in five sets for UNC volleyball's fourth win in a row

20191013_UNCvsFSU_Volleyball-319.jpg
Redshirt first-year outside hitter Lauren Harrison (25) spikes the ball against two players from FSU. UNC won against FSU 3-2 at Carmichael Arena on Sunday, Oct. 13, 2019.

The North Carolina volleyball team (7-9, 4-2 ACC) defeated No. 23 Florida State (10-5, 4-2 ACC) 3-2, on Sunday and won its fourth straight match.  

UNC and Florida State battled right from the start. In the first set alone there were 14 ties and four lead changes. Florida State secured two back-to-back kills late in the set to win 26-24.  

In the middle of the second set, FSU scored four straight points to increase its lead, 14-8. In response, North Carolina went on a four point run of its own to cut the lead, 14-12. Even though UNC cut the lead to two, Florida State power through and won the set, 25-20.  

With the match on the line, UNC’s Aristea Tontai scored the first point in the third set off a kill.  

Although the Seminoles scored two straight points to take the lead, 2-1. UNC went on a four point scoring run, which included two back-to-back kills by Skylar Wine and two service ace’s by Greer Moseman, to regain the lead 5-2.

The Tar Heels kept the lead until the score was 10-8, when Florida State went on a four point scoring run to gain the lead, 12-10. UNC and FSU would go on to trade runs for the rest of the set, until the Tar Heels came out on top, 25-21.   

In the fourth set, Florida State and North Carolina fought from the start. Near the end, North Carolina led Florida State, 23-22, and needed to score two more points to win the set. FSU tied it up at 23-23, but the Tar Heels scored two straight points to win and force a fifth set.  

North Carolina opened the fifth set with a kill from Harrison. Florida State then tied the set,1-1. But UNC’s Harrison secured two back-to-back kills to give her team the lead, 3-1.  Although Florida State battled, UNC grew its lead to 6-3. The Seminoles scored three straight points to tie the set, 6-6 before UNC scored four straight points to lead, 10-6. North Carolina rolled to a victory, 15-10, and won the match, 3-2.    

Against Florida State, UNC’s Harrison led the team with 24 kills and 27.5 points scored, and both of those numbers are Harrison’s personal season high. Harrison who sat out last season due to injury, is leading the team with 206 total points this season, and 184 total kills.  

After Florida State won the first and second sets, UNC bounced back an won the third and fourth sets. After gaining all of the momentum, UNC played FSU in a decisive fifth set. Once North Carolina had the lead in the deciding set, its cruised to a victory, 15-10.   

With this win, North Carolina has now won four straight matches, and improved its record to 7-9 on the season. In addition, this was UNC’s first win this season over a ranked opponent, and they now hold a 4-2 record in the ACC this season. 

The North Carolina volleyball team will hit the road next weekend, and play at Pittsburgh on Friday at 7 p.m.  

@TorreNetkovick