UNC women's soccer defeats Clemson 1-0 after Andrzejewski's second half goal

Bridgette Andrzejewski  womens soccer
Bridgette Andrzejewski striking the ball in a 2018 game against UCF. The senior forward scored her third game-winning goal of the season against Clemson on Saturday.

No. 3 UNC women’s soccer marked its first top ten matchup of the season with a 1-0 win over No. 8 Clemson at Dorrance Field on Saturday evening thanks to a goal by Bridgette Andrzejewski. 

The shutout as the Tar Heels' fourth in four ACC games on the season, and 10th in the 12-game season. 

The Tigers dictated play for the opening 15 minutes of the game, but the UNC defense was able to deal with the pressure and keep the game at 0-0.

UNC had the first clear-cut chance of the game in the 18th minute when junior defender Emily Fox played first year forward Isabel Cox in on goal. Cox was able to beat the goalkeeper with her shot but was unable to find the back of the net, and the ball drifted just wide of the far post. 

About ten minutes later, the Tar Heels had four successive corner kick opportunities, but weren't able to put any in the back of the net. 

In the 41st minute, UNC redshirt senior forward Ru Mucherera played first year Aleigh Gambone in behind the Clemson defense, but Gambone hit the post with her shot. 

The first half of the action finished 0-0. 

The Tar Heels got their first and only goal 10 minutes into the second half, after first year defender Maycee Bell was hauled down by a Tiger defender, earning a free kick for UNC. Junior defender Lotte Wubben-Moy stepped up and took the kick, floating a ball into the area, before Andrzejewski was able to get on the end of the ball with a diving header to put the Tar Heels up 1-0. 

UNC had more opportunities to increase its lead in the rest of the half, earning three corner kicks, but were unable to score off any of them.

With the lone goal tonight, Andrzejewski has now scored three game-winning goals this season. The senior is now third on the team in goals scored this season with five, and is second in total points with 15. 

For the Tigers, senior goalkeeper Sandy MacIver stopped four of the five shots she faced in goal. Coming into this game, Clemson had only allowed five goals on the season, all of them scored on MacIver as the starter. 

UNC secured the victory in the 55th minute when Andrzejewski scored off Wubben-Moy's free kick. The Tar Heels did not give up a shot on goal for the rest of the game. 

UNC has yet to concede a goal in conference action this season, shutting out all four teams it has faced so far in ACC matchups. The Tar Heels have now won four games in a row since their loss to Arkansas. The team is currently tied for first in the ACC with Florida State. 

North Carolina travel to Durham on Thursday for a matchup against rivals Duke University at 7 p.m. The No. 10 Blue Devils are coming off a 0-0 tie against the top-ranked Virginia. 

@emilythoreson