Five nights of funny on Franklin Street at The PIT Chapel Hill

Festival Schedule.jpg

The Franklin Street Comedy Festival will begin Nov. 20 and will end on Nov. 25 of 2019. Photo courtesy of Will Purpura.

On Nov. 20, the Franklin Street Comedy Festival will begin five nights full of comedy including standup, improv, sketches and storytelling. 

The festival is being held at The PIT Chapel Hill. It begins on Wednesday, Nov. 20 and runs until Monday, Nov. 25. The times for the shows vary each night, and can be found on The PIT’s website. Ticket prices are $10 each. 

There is also a special pass available for purchase that includes access to several of the shows in the festival. 

Each night of the festival, the audience will have the opportunity to see a variety of comedy. The event features local and out-of-state comedians. There will be 25 improv groups, and over 50 comedians are scheduled to perform. 

Some of the performers for the festival include local comedians such as Aaron Cobb and Aaron Ransom, along with the headliner Judah Friedlander from Netflix and "30 Rock."

Will Purpura is the artistic director at The PIT. He considers this festival to be a way to give back to the community. 

“We're trying to create a space where people can come and express themselves comedically and develop their talent," Purpura said. “We have a lot of UNC students, and they come and do open mics.” 

Josh Rosenstein is the vice chair of the Cultural Arts Commission in Chapel Hill, as well as a comedian. 

Rosenstein said he hopes the festival will showcase the local comedy scene that Chapel Hill has to offer. 

“We have some of our favorite local comedians that have ever come through The PIT that are going to be on this show,” Rosenstein said. “I want people to be excited about all the awesome comedy that's happening on Franklin Street and in Chapel Hill. 

Rosenstein says that at the end of the day, he just wants people to come out and have some laughs and a good time.

Chelsea Wettroth is co-producing the event and hopes that the experience will spark an interest among up-and-coming comedians or folks just looking for a new hobby. 

“I hope people will have more interest, and I hope people want to come out to show, I hope people will want to take some of the classes that we have available," Wettroth said.

Wettroth wants the festival to bring attention to The PIT and the constant performances that are going on every week.

“I really hope it will increase people's interest in comedy in the area, and I hope it will advertise The PIT as well because it's one of the only comedy venues and in the area," Wettroth said. “It’s a place that really represents Chapel Hill comedy.”

@c_heaton726