Debate over Confederate monument in Pittsboro continues as judge delays removal

20191030_pittsboro-confederate-statue-update-15.jpg
A Confederate monument stands Wednesday afternoon, Oct. 30, 2019, in front of Chatham County Courthouse in Pittsboro. On Monday, Oct. 28, 2019, a superior court judge halted the plans for its removal.

A superior court judge granted a temporary restraining order last week that will ultimately delay the removal of a controversial Confederate monument in downtown Pittsboro.

Three members of the Winnie Davis Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy filed a motion for a restraining order on Oct. 23 and a notice of hearing on Oct. 25 alleging that they “have legitimate and cognizable interests in the monument, as well as the location where it is placed.”

The UDC gifted the statue to Chatham county in 1907, and it has stood directly in front of the Chatham County Courthouse steps since.

On Aug. 19, the Board of Chatham County Commissioners voted 4-1 to have the statue removed and relocated. Tension prompted by this decision has led to protests and counter-protests in Chatham County. On Oct. 26, two individuals were arrested when a physical altercation broke out during one of the protests. 

Calvin James Megginson, 29, of Pittsboro, and Timothy James Osborn, 24, of Carrboro, were each arrested for inciting a riot and affray.

According to a media release sent out by the Chatham County Sheriff's Office following the arrests, the protest was peaceful aside from that altercation. Both men involved were arrested and released on a written promise to appear in Chatham County District Court. 

“We respect every resident’s right to peacefully assemble in nonviolent protest or support of their beliefs. However, unlawful or violent behavior will not be tolerated," Sheriff’s Office Chief Charles Gardner said in reference to the arrests.

Pittsboro Town Commissioner John Bonitz said he hopes for peace and justice.

“I think many more people want the statue removed safely and respectfully, to a place where it can be preserved as a historic monument. I have no clue when it will be removed, but everyone I hear from wants the situation to be over sooner than later,” Bonitz said in an email. “I am confident that the justice system will reach proper findings and the statue will be removed. In the meantime, I trust that Pittsboro townspeople will continue to act peacefully and respectfully, and I hope and pray that out-of-towners will stay away.”

When asked whether the frequency of protests is expected to increase in response to the delay, Chatham County Administrative Lieutenant Sara Pack preferred not to speculate. 

“As the media release states, we remain focused on public safety and hope interactions among residents and visitors will remain peaceful and respectful," Pack said. 

Ahmad Atieh, a senior at UNC double majoring in computer science and business administration, said he felt “oddly empowered” by the community activism demonstrated during this time. 

“I just feel a lot of pride in our student body, especially remembering how big a part student activism played in getting Silent Sam taken down," Atieh said. "It almost seems like this started a domino effect of action. We know that we have the power to change the things we don’t like, and it’s so cool to see other people acting on that belief as well.”

@amena_saad5