Wednesday April 14th

Puff Johnson, younger brother of Cameron Johnson, announces commitment to UNC

Head men's basketball coach Roy Williams answers post-game questions about the exhibition game against Winston-Salem State on Friday, Nov. 1, 2019 in the Smith Center.
Buy Photos Head men's basketball coach Roy Williams answers post-game questions about the exhibition game against Winston-Salem State on Friday, Nov. 1, 2019 in the Smith Center.

Four-star recruit Donovan "Puff" Johnson announced his commitment to play basketball at the University of North Carolina on Tuesday at 8:30 p.m. 

A Hillcrest Prep product and younger brother of former Tar Heel Cameron Johnson, the 6'7, 185 lbs small forward averaged 22.1 points, 9.4 rebounds, 1.6 steals and 1.2 blocks in his junior year at Moon High School according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. 

An outside shooter like his older brother, Johnson shot 46 percent from behind the arc, and made 61 3-pointers last year. 

Johnson is listed as the No. 48 recruit in the country, the No. 13 small forward and the No. 4 recruit coming out of Arizona by 247Sports.

The small forward transferred to Phoenix Hillcrest Prep for his senior year of high school after he was denied eligibility at Moon by the Western Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic League because he repeated eighth grade at a small private school. 

The rules of the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association, which the WPIAL follows, states that a student isn't allowed to play more than six seasons in a sport after sixth grade. 

Johnson joins the loaded recruiting class of 2020 for North Carolina that already has commitments from five-star centers Walker Kessler and Day'Ron Sharpe, five-star point guard Caleb Love and four-star combo guard R.J. Davis. 

The Tar Heels now have the second best class of 2020 according to 247Sports. 

@bg_keyes

The Daily Tar Heel for April 2, 2021