Learn about the artistry and history behind tattoos at Tattoo History 101 in Durham

tattoo-history-101.jpg
Kohen Meyers, one of Choice Tattoo’s artists, tattoos a client. Photo courtesy of Morgan Grimm.

On Sunday Nov. 10, C.W. “Chuck” Eldridge will be visiting Choice Tattoo in Durham to present his Tattoo 101 lecture. Eldridge is the owner of Tattoo Archive in Winston Salem and has been tattooed, tattooing and learning about tattoo history since the late 1960s and early 1970s.

“I started tattooing in the '70s in San Francisco and had a shop in Berkeley California for many years," Eldridge said. "Then in ‘07, my wife and I — the 'BookMistress' — moved here from California and had the shop here operating in Winston Salem since then."

Eldridge said his lecture is called Tattoo History 101 because it will be a broad overview of the history of the art of tattooing, going all the way back to tribal times. 

“A big part of what we do — obviously we have an operating tattoo shop, and a tattoo museum, and bookstore as well — but a lot of what we do is writing and research on the history of tattoo,” Eldridge said.

Eldridge’s wife, the 'BookMistress,' will also be appearing at the event, selling books about tattoo history, including rare and out-of-print books.

Morgan Grimm from Choice Tattoo said visitors could learn a lot from Eldridge’s tattoo expertise.

“They would learn about how tattooing became popular in America and when that started and how it has grown to what it is today,” Grimm said.

Kohen Meyers is an artist at Choice Tattoo who has been tattooing for 10 years. Meyers said this lecture can bring a new understanding of the artistry behind tattoos. 

“Chuck Eldridge has worked and lived through such an important part of American tattooing, he has shaped and now preserves tattoo history," Meyers said. "We are truly honored to have him speak at Choice Tattoo. My hope is that Tattoo History 101 will educate novice and collectors alike on the intricacies of appreciating and collecting tattoos."

Eldridge has been featured with four other tattoo artists on Netflix’s documentary series "Explained," appearing in season one, episode 13. The series, created by Vox, is all about explaining various topical issues. Eldridge’s episode was all about tattoos.

“A lot of people think tattooing came out of the second World War with a bunch of crazy kids just marking themselves up, but I think this lecture will give people a bit of understanding about the history of tattoos and the longevity of that art form,” Eldridge said.

The event is free to attend and donations will be made to the Freedom German Shepherd Rescue.