Column: Here's what to do if you'll be on campus during Thanksgiving break

20191124_thanksgiving-on-campus-5.jpg
Jovan Sheshbaradaran, a first-year studying business and political science, studies for an upcoming statistics exam in a lounge in Koury residence hall on Nov. 24, 2019.

For those planning on staying in Chapel Hill during Thanksgiving, here is a comprehensive guide to get you through the break. 

Campus living 

If you live on campus, know that all residence halls and Ram Village will be open during Thanksgiving Break. Staff will be available in the case of emergencies. Do not hesitate to call the residential adviser on duty or the office number for the community. 

Wondering if you can use your meal plan next week? If you completed the Thanksgiving Break form by Nov. 20 at 9 a.m., you can swipe into the dining halls for lunch and dinner on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Note that meals will not be served on Thursday, so plan accordingly. 

Passing the time

So, what should you do during the day? Use your free time to get ahead on studying for finals. Unlike last year, finals start the week after Thanksgiving Break. Start making those flashcards and study guides now that we're in the final stretch. This will test to see if drinking from The Old Well really works. 

UNC Libraries will be closed from Thursday to Saturday, and the Chapel Hill Public Library will be closed on Thursday and Friday of next week. However, find a nice place on campus outside to start the study grind, such as the tables outside FedEx Global Education Center. 

Besides studying, you can take a walk through beautiful the Coker Arboretum or find a good book to read on the back porch of Graham Memorial Hall. Explore new places to eat on Franklin Street or scout out a cool place to have a picnic with friends on LDOC. You can even take cool pictures of nature around campus and make a photo album. 

Looking to get good deals on clothing and technology during Black Friday? Check out The Streets at Southpoint. The mall will be open from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Friday. Southpoint is a quick ride from UNC’s campus. 

Thanksgiving dinner 

Now, the most important part of the guide: where can you get food on Thanksgiving Day? If you are looking for a fun restaurant to go to with friends, check out Acme Food and Beverage, Boston Market or City Kitchen. All three places are great to get a Thanksgiving meal. 

While UNC may feel lonely over the break, do not worry. Get creative. Find something fun and interesting to keep you busy. Try something you normally would not want to do. I promise, the rest of us will be back soon!