For UNC, a sloppy win against Gardner-Webb could be a sign of bigger problems

20191115_Pirozzi_MBBvGarnerWebb-328.jpg

First-year guard Cole Anthony (2) fights for a two-pointer in the game against Gardner Webb on Friday, Nov.15, 2019 in the Smith Center. UNC beat Gardner-Webb 77-61. 

Don't get caught up in the fact that North Carolina defeated Gardner-Webb at the end of the night. Don't get caught up in the fact that Cole Anthony scored 28 points, or that Armando Bacot had a double-double. 

The Tar Heels played what might have been their worst game of the season. 

The offense in the first half was paltry at best — North Carolina started the game just 1-8 from the field, and didn't eclipse 10 points until halfway through the first period. 

"I've heard that that was the worst basketball a couple of the coaches have seen in a long time, that first half," sophomore guard Leaky Black said.

Head coach Roy Williams said all offseason that this team would struggle to score compared to the past few years. Few, if any, would have expected them to struggle this much, especially with the gravity that Anthony brings night in and night out. 

It's hard to describe just how much difficulty the Tar Heels had to score against a mid-major team who starts four guards and whose starting center, Ludovic Dufeal, stands at just 6-foot-8. 

"(Williams) shouldn't be happy with how we played," Anthony said. "I'd say we're very stagnant on offense, and defensively we're missing a lot of rotations. As I said, it's early in the season, but at some point it's no longer going to be early in the season." 

North Carolina, a team that emphasizes passing and ball movement more than anything else, had 19 assists in the game compared to 16 turnovers. The bigs were stripped in the post, and the guards gave the ball up regularly. 

"Everybody in here works on their game daily," said Black, who had a team high in assists with six. "We lift. There's no reason someone should bump us off the ball while we're dribbling. It's a lot of being comfortable with the ball when you have it." 

The Tar Heels shot just 41 percent from the field in the first half, and just 10 percent from three. Anthony, the pace-setter for everything this UNC team does, shot 7-17 from the floor for the game, complete with four turnovers and just two assists. 

"We're more gifted, we're taller, all those kinds of things, and it's a one or two possession game," Williams said. "None of you guys had to think it (was) a very pretty game… do I believe we're getting better? Yes. Am I ticked off right now? Yes. Am I a scrooge probably, this close to Christmas? Yes.

"But we've got to play better and that's the bottom line." 

Through three games, UNC hasn't had a consistent scorer outside of Anthony. If the team wants to win in January, let alone March, that will need to change.

"We've had a bunch of guys show flashes. We've had JP (Justin Pierce) show flashes, Armando, Garrison, CK (Christian Keeling) can obviously score, Leaky, (Andrew) Platek. Honestly everyone who plays," Anthony said after the game. "We have that wild card effect." 

The team can't afford to get spooked when the easy shots aren't falling early on. 

"We missed a couple of easy shots, open shots, and it's like 'Man, we're getting these stops but we can't score,'" Black said. "Everybody started panicking a little bit." 

It may seem like one bad game against a scrappy team that caught the favorite by surprise. But nothing about the Tar Heels' play through three games offers any sort of solution to their main problem — the lack of a consistent off-the-dribble scorer outside of Anthony. 

It's true that almost anyone has the capability to have a big game for North Carolina this season. But what happens when no one does? The Tar Heels' season might depend on that very question.

@bg_keyes