Cole Anthony, other new Tar Heels shake off nerves in Winston-Salem State exhibition

20191101_Edwards_UNCvWinstonSalembasketball_DTH-212.jpg
Winston-Salem State junior Justice Kithcart (0) guards UNC first-year guard Cole Anthony (2) at the exhibition game on Friday, Nov. 1, 2019 in the Smith Center. UNC won 96-61.

There were some surprises at the end of the first half in UNC’s lone exhibition game against Winston-Salem State on Friday. The Tar Heels were up by 21 at halftime and ended up routing the Rams, 96-61, but the night didn’t go as smoothly as the score may indicate. 

Guard Brandon Robinson left the game in the first 10 minutes and didn’t return after hitting the deck following a block. But while UNC was able to make do without its lone senior starter, the team’s new faces struggled initially. 

At halftime, five-star first-years Cole Anthony and Armando Bacot had combined for 10 points on just 4-12 shooting. Neither of the graduate transfers, Christian Keeling or Justin Pierce, were able to hit a shot from the floor, totaling one point combined. 

Garrison Brooks wanted to settle his teammates’ obvious first-game jitters, but didn’t know what to say. 

“I can say, ‘Calm down, it’s just a game,’” said the junior forward, who finished with a team-high 18 points and 11 rebounds. “But then again, they know it’s not just a game. They know it counts for something more.” 

Though the glorified scrimmage won’t factor into the Tar Heels’ record or season stats, that “something more” Brooks referred to was likely the expectations that came with each new addition’s arrival. For Anthony, those expectations are as lofty as they are for almost any player in the country. 

The 6-foot-3 guard — the fourth-ranked player in the class of 2019, according to 247Sports — made a handful of ill-advised plays in the first half. At times, he pulled up for contested 3-pointers; other times, he drove into traffic and turned the ball over. 

“His shot wasn’t really falling tonight, but we all believe in Cole Anthony,” junior guard Andrew Platek said. “We all want him to be aggressive, be that dog that we know he is.”

Anthony had four of the Tar Heels’ 23 total turnovers but found more of a rhythm after halftime, finishing the game with 11 points, seven assists and five rebounds. 

“Everyone wants to do well, but at the same time, you’re nervous,” he admitted after the game. 

Bacot and Keeling were the two other newbies who rounded out the starting lineup with Anthony, Robinson and Brooks. Bacot finished with 10 points and 10 rebounds, taking advantage of a severely undersized Rams team. The 6-foot-10 forward also looked noticeably more comfortable in the second half. 

But the player whose two halves were most distinct was Keeling. 

After missing his only two shot attempts in the first 20 minutes, the former Charleston Southern guard went 5-5 and hit both of his three-point attempts after halftime. He finished the night second on the team in scoring with 14 points.  

Multiple times throughout the game, head coach Roy Williams lost his cool. He got in players’ faces, subbed out his starting five in frustration and yelled from the sidelines for his team to “guard somebody” when its effort on defense looked lackadaisical. 

“They know I can get mad now,” Williams said. “It’s been in the back of their minds, but they didn’t know that for sure. It’s removed any doubt now.”

It wasn’t a perfect performance for UNC by any stretch. But Friday night was a time to shake out early season jitters and iron out wrinkles. After all, isn’t that what exhibition games are for?

“We have a lot of work to put in. No one’s gonna stress too much about this game,” Anthony said. “We’ll ponder upon it. We’ll watch the game film, but it’s just a learning experience.” 

@pupadhyaya_