Kaity Smith helps Hokies outlast UNC volleyball, 3-2, in final regular season match

20191121_McConnell_VBvDuke-259.jpg
Redshirt first-year Lauren Harrison anticipates a serve in UNC Volleyball's 3-0 win over Duke Thursday.

The North Carolina volleyball team fell to Virginia Tech, 3-2, in Blacksburg, Virginia, in its last match of the regular season. With Friday's loss to the Hokies, UNC has lost its last two games after winning 12 of 14 matches.

The Tar Heels (15-13, 12-6 ACC) got on the board first in the opening set, earning an early 2-0 lead, but it was the Hokies (11-20, 4-14 ACC) who would eventually take the set by a score of 25-21.

Virginia Tech went on four-point runs on two separate occasions in the first set. The first came when UNC had a 5-4 lead, and the second came when Virginia Tech held an 11-9 lead. 

In the second set, the Tar Heels were able to earn a 24-21 lead, only needing one point to take the set. But the Hokies did not make it easy, scoring two straight points to make it 24-23 and only needing to score one more to force the match point to 26. 

However, a kill by redshirt first-year Lauren Harrison from sophomore Annabelle Archer secured the second set for the Tar Heels, 25-23. 

In the third set, North Carolina was able to earn an early 3-2 lead before Virginia Tech ran rampant. The Hokies scored 14 straight points to take a 16-3 lead and dominated the set with a 25-9 win. 

Needing a win in the fourth set to keep the match alive, the Tar Heels started off strong. UNC was able to take a 24-22 lead, but an attacking error by North Carolina's Destiny Cox gave the Hokies a chance. On the next play, another attacking error, this time from the Hokies, sealed a 25-23 win in the fourth set for the Tar Heels. 

In the fifth set, the Hokies jumped out to a 12-3 lead after a barrage of kills from junior outside hitter Kaity Smith. UNC attempted to bridge the gap with an 8-2 run, but the deficit proved to be too much to overcome, and Virginia Tech won the fifth set, 15-11, to take the match. 

Senior Mia Fradenburg recorded a game-high 27 digs for the Tar Heels. Harrison, Cox and first-year Skyy Howard each reached double digits in kills, recording 16, 13 and 10, respectively. 

On the other end of the court, Smith contributed a game-high 24 kills for the Hokies. 

The game was decided early in the fifth set, when the Hokies amassed a quick 7-0 lead, a deficit which UNC was unable to come back from. Virginia Tech went on to win the tie-breaking set by a score of 15-11. 

The Tar Heels faced the Hokies early in the season in Chapel Hill, and North Carolina walked away with a 3-1 win at home. 

Friday's result means UNC will finish the season with a 12-6 record in the ACC, a mark only Pittsburgh (18-0) and Georgia Tech (14-4) bested this year.

The Tar Heels will find out their postseason fate during the 2019 NCAA Selection Show, which will air on Sunday night at 8:30 p.m. on ESPNU.

@emilythoreson