Muhammed named MVP while leading UNC women’s basketball to 82-69 win over Mizzou

20191122_Loven_WomensBasketball-60.jpg
Madinah Muhammad in a game against Elon. Against Missouri, the senior guard had 24 points to lead the team.

With her mom in the crowd, redshirt senior Madinah Muhammad led UNC women’s basketball in scoring and set a new career points record in the Tar Heels’ 82-69 victory over Missouri on Friday in the Cancun Challenge. In the programs best start since the 2014-15 season, all five starters put up double digits as the team advanced 6-0 on the season. 

In the second half of a back-to-back in sunny Mexico, the Tar Heels started hot and didn’t let up, never losing the lead throughout all four quarters. 

UNC’s top line dominated as the five starters scored all of UNC’s 82 points. 

Muhammed was named MVP of the six-team Riviera Division after putting up 24 points Friday, averaging 22 points over the tournament. 

Junior Janelle Bailey put up 20 points of her own and went 8-8 from the free throw line. Senior Shayla Bennett scored 16 points and led the team with seven assists, while Senior Taylor Koenen and first-year Malu Tshitenge both put up 11 points for the night. Koenan also led the team with with eight rebounds and Tshitenge followed with seven. 

By the end of the first period, the Tar Heels had pushed their lead to double digits with three three-pointers and five jump shots. By halftime, UNC was shooting 53.6 percent from the field.

In the second half, UNC only let the Tigers get within eight points twice, UNC was a force when attacking the hoop. 

UNC’s physical presence was a necessary key to a big win after having two matches less than a day apart. 

When asked how the team managed the back-to-back games, head coach Courtney Banghart spoke about how she was concerned about the team both physically and mentally going into the game, knowing that fatigue can hinder focus. 

“We sort of said before the game it’s a battle of grit,” Banghart said. 

After scoring 20 points the day before against Temple to set a season high, Muhammad put up 24 points against Missouri the next day, the second game in a row Muhammad has lead the team in scoring. 

It was a particularly special day for Muhammed as her mother traveled from Chicago to Mexico to watch her daughter play. 

Muhammed sat out last year after transferring from the University of Mississippi and has quickly become a key asset to the team. Against Missouri, Muhammed had her best game with many UNC career highs — minutes played, three-pointers made, steals, blocks, free throws made — all in addition to being the team’s leading scorer. 

Late in the fourth, the Tigers came within eight points of the Tar Heels as they tried to make a comeback with just six minutes left to play. But two quick three-pointers by Bennett and Koenen reset the lead and the Tar Heels were able to hold on for the win despite a strong half by Missouri.  

With six undefeated games to start the season, this is UNC’s best start in five years. 

Early in the season, Coach Banghart spoke about needing to create a team identity and she believes this early success is a solid step in a positive direction. 

“I’m learning a lot about this group,” Banghart said. “They’re letting me coach and trusting me in that way, and they’re proving that they want to be good. So I’m not ready to say entirely what (is the team identity), but I certainly have a group of winners right now.”

The Tar Heels will be back in action at Carmichael Arena in Chapel Hill against Illinois on December 5th at 6 p.m. 

@macyemeyer