Daavettila caps off season with Oracle ITA Fall National Championship singles title

Sara Daavettila Duke ACC
UNC women's tennis junior Sara Daavettila returns the ball during her singles match during the ACC Tennis Championships at Cary Indoor Tennis Park in Cary, NC on Sunday April 21, 2019. UNC beat Duke 4-2.

The North Carolina women’s tennis team concluded play at the Oracle ITA Fall National Championship in Newport Beach, California, on Sunday when senior Sara Daavettila captured the singles title in two sets with victories of 7-6 (5) and 6-1 during the final match.

In singles competition, North Carolina started the competition 4-0 on Wednesday, highlighted by Daavettila’s win with scores of 6-1 and 6-3 in the first round. Senior Alexa Graham also won her first round decisively with scores of 6-2 and 6-1, and sophomore Cameron Morra won convincingly with scores of 6-1 in both sets. With scores of 6-1, 6-3, junior Alle Sanford advanced as well.

In doubles competition, the duo of Daavettila and Graham lost their round, 7-6 (6) and 7-6 (5). However, the pairing of senior Makenna Jones and Morra made a comeback to advance in doubles, 0-6, 6-1, 10-7.

By the end of Thursday's matches, three Tar Heels had advanced to the round of 16. Graham won her match, 6-3, 3-6, 7-5, after being forced to a tiebreaker third set. Similar to her first round, Daavettila quickly won her match, 6-2, 6-3. Morra cruised to victory as well when she won both of her sets by a score of 6-1.

Sanford was the lone singles player for UNC to fall in the second round, losing in three sets, 6-1, 5-7, 6-4.

The duo of Jones and Morra reached the doubles quarterfinals after winning in back-to-back sets, 6-2, 6-4, on Thursday. After losing on Wednesday, the duo Daavettila and Graham competed in the consolation doubles bracket on Thursday, winning their first match, 6-0, 6-3.

North Carolina lost two of its remaining three players in singles competition on Friday. After winning the first set, Graham was bested in her matchup with Haley Giavara of California, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, and Morra was defeated in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1. Daavettila won her match in the round of 16 with scores of 6-4 and 6-3 and advanced to the semifinals behind a three-set victory in the quarterfinals, 6-4, 4-6, 6-2.

In the doubles quarterfinals, Morra and Jones lost their matchup in straight sets, 7-5, 6-4. The duo of Daavettila and Graham advanced to the semifinals of the consolation doubles bracket with a victory of 6-0 in the first set, and the retirement of Oklahoma State's Dariya Detkovskaya and Bunyawi Thamchaiwat in the second set. The UNC pair went on to lose in back-to-back sets during the semifinals, 7-5, 6-4.

Daavettila won her singles semifinals match on Saturday in a three-set victory. After dropping the first set, the senior stormed back, 3-6, 7-5, 6-4, to punch her ticket to the final. From there, Daavettila was able to avenge an October loss to Texas' Anna Turati when the two met in the finals of this tournament. Despite a close first set, Daavettila was victorious in straight sets, 7-6 (5), 6-1.

Daavettila picked up major wins en route to claiming the singles competition title on Sunday afternoon. In the semifinals, she defeated Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba, the 2019 NCAA Singles Champion, and secured a win over No. 8 Anna Rogers of N.C. State in the second round.

In addition to winning the main draw, the senior was also honored with the ITA Sportsmanship Award for outstanding demeanor on and off the court.

On Sunday afternoon, Daavettila won in a two-game set to claim the championship, fighting through an evenly-matched first set to earn a narrow 7-6 (5) victory. Once the senior jumped out to a strong lead in the second set, it became clear that she wasn't going to settle for anything less than the championship.

For Daavettila, the win on Sunday was her sixth singles victory in the tournament, with five coming against top-50 ranked players. Head coach Brian Kalbas said that Daavettila never lost her confidence in tough situations. 

The women’s tennis team won't play again until the spring season starts on Saturday, Jan. 11, when the Tar Heels face Elon in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, at 11 a.m.

@A_ReynoldsDTH