UNC women's basketball defeats Elon 76-46 behind strong second quarter

20191122_Edwards_wbasketball_dth-04767.jpg

UNC freshman guard Kennady Tucker (4) prepares to pass the ball past Elon sophomore Brie Perpignan (0) on Friday, Nov. 22, 2019 in Carmichael Arena. UNC beat Elon 76-46.

The North Carolina women's basketball team (4-0) continued its perfect start to the season with a 76-46 win over Elon University (2-2) on Friday evening at Carmichael Arena to improve to 4-0 on the season. All four of the Tar Heels' victories so far this season have been by at least a 30-point margin. 

The Tar Heels didn't start the game as fast as they would have liked, giving up four turnovers in the first quarter and only finishing the period with a slim 13-8 lead. 

But North Carolina's offense exploded in the second quarter, shooting 9-for-15 from the field and 2-for-5 from three in route to putting up 23 points while limiting Elon to 13. At the end of the half, UNC had earned a 15-point lead, 36-21.

The Tar Heels started the third quarter right where they left off before halftime, increasing the lead to 20 points less than five minutes into the quarter. Junior center Janelle Bailey led the offense, putting up eight point, six of them coming from free throws. 

North Carolina finished the third quarter with a 59-35 lead, allowing the team to bring on some of its reserves in the fourth quarter. First-year guards Nia Daniel and Kennady Tucker had four points and three points respectively and redshirt junior forward Emily Sullivan had two.

UNC put up a total of 17 points in the fourth quarter to finish the game with a 76-46 victory. 

First-year forward Malu Tshitenge contributed her second double-double of the season for the Tar Heels while leading the team in points and rebounds with 18 and 10. Senior guard Taylor Koenen, redshirt senior guard Madinah Muhammad and Bailey also reached double figures in scoring. Koenen and Muhammad each had 14 while Bailey contributed 12 points. 

For the visitors, Brie Perpignan and Jada Graves tied to lead the Phoenix in scoring, each putting up nine points. Graves also led the team with seven rebounds.  

Once the Tar Heels' offense took off in the second quarter, UNC maintained a double-digit lead over the Phoenix for the rest of the game. It was an 11-5 run to end the quarter that put the game firmly in hand for the Tar Heels. North Carolina's biggest lead of the game was 31 points, which it was able to reach on three separate occasions in the fourth quarter.

UNC continues its perfect start to the season with another win over a non-conference team. This is the team's best start since the 2016-2017 season, when the Tar Heels opened up by going 4-0 before losing to South Florida in the Junkanoo Jam. UNC will face its first ACC opponent on December 30.

The Tar Heels head to Mexico next week for the Cancun Challenge, facing Temple on Thursday and Missouri on Friday. 

@emilythoreson