From 'Pitch Perfect' to Samaa: How a cappella has changed over the decade

082019-dustinduong-sunsetserenade-8.jpg
The Clef Hangers, an a capella group at UNC, perform at Sunset Serenade on Monday, Aug. 19, 2019.

“Pitch Perfect” may have secured a cappella a spot on the map, but the UNC a cappella community has a lot more going for it than this movie’s popularity alone.

For some students, a cappella simply means late-night dorm serenades and recruitment in the Pit. For others, a cappella is a family.

A cappella has been gaining momentum at UNC since the 1977 creation of the Clef Hangers, UNC's first a capella group. Over the past 10 years, a cappella’s popularity soared, and the growing number of a cappella groups on campus has fostered close-knit communities.

This decade ushered in two new a cappella groups on campus: the Tarpeggios, in 2010, and Samaa in 2011. 

Samaa has made a name for itself as the only South Asian fusion a cappella group in the state. The group performs original arrangements that combine traditional South Asian music and American pop hits. 

Maina Edula, one of the group’s directors, said this cultural focus helps Samaa stand out in the sea of a cappella at UNC.

“It definitely adds an element of diversity,” Edula said.

In addition to reaching out to other a cappella groups, Samaa also works frequently with other South Asian performance groups. 

On the other side of campus, the MedUNCedoos have created their own unique community. The UNC School of Medicine’s a cappella group was created in 2009 and found its footing over the following years. President Elitza Koutleva, a second-year grad student, said the group provides a welcome break from the rigor of medical school. 

“It’s been an awesome outlet,” Koutleva said. “We’ve been able to teach each other and learn from each other.”

Justin Byun, music director of the Tarpeggios, said one of the biggest changes of the decade was the level of interaction between a cappella groups. 

The bonds within individual groups had always been strong, he said, but the greater a cappella community has come much closer together over the past few years.

Byun, presently a senior, said most of the groups kept to themselves during his first year. Now they create group chats, plan mixers and buy tickets to each other’s concerts.

“We started realizing that we should all support one another,” Byun said. “When it comes to a cappella, we all love the same kinds of things. To share all that together just makes the whole a cappella experience that much more family-like and fun.”   

Tim Dillon, a junior in Psalm 100, said he appreciated the growing support within a cappella. He said that at a recent dress rehearsal, Psalm 100 was surprised by the Achordants, who came into the rehearsal and cheered as Psalm 100 finished a song.

“That was really encouraging to see, we have the support of other a cappella groups," Dillon said.  

Psalm 100 alumnus Caleb Whitlock and Clef Hangers alumnus Taylor Euliss both said they experienced a  growing camaraderie within a cappella.

“I’ve continued to see the integration of all of the groups not being such separate entities,” Euliss said. 

Matt Wakeford, co-music director of the Achordants, said “Pitch Perfect” had a notable impact on ticket sales when it came out, but added that the movie isn’t an accurate representation of the work that goes into a cappella arrangements. While the movie may have influenced audiences, most of the performers were drawn in primarily by their dedication to the music.

The community dynamic isn’t the only thing that changed over the past decade. Loreleis alumna Ellie Cain said that as a cappella gained popularity, many of the groups started writing original songs in order to stand out and avoid repertoire overlap. Tyler Haugle, business manager of Tar Heel Voices, said the complexity of vocal arrangements has also increased over the past few years. 

The singers all agreed on at least one thing: Since 2010, a cappella at UNC has become more like a family than ever before.

“I was able to see the real blossoming of friendships,” Whitlock said. “This gradual move toward a very inclusive, holistic a cappella community.” 

@lizcj00