UNC basketball looks to find offensive footing in Carmichael Arena against Wofford

20191215_Pirozzi_MBBvWofford2-657.jpg

UNC's senior guard Brandon Robinson (4) attempts to shoot while junior forward Garrison Brooks (15) looks on during a game against Wofford on Sunday, Dec. 15th, 2019 at Carmichael Arena. This is the first regular-season game the Tar Heels have played in Carmichael since 1986. UNC fell to Wofford 64-68, marking UNC's third consecutive loss.

The last time a North Carolina men’s basketball team played a regular-season game at Carmichael Arena, then known as Carmichael Auditorium, was nearly 34 years ago. 

A 90-79 win over N.C. State on Jan. 4, 1986 was the program’s last hoorah in the storied gymnasium. It marked a 14th consecutive victory for the then-No. 1 Tar Heels. 

Head coach Roy Williams, an assistant under Dean Smith at the time, hopes Sunday’s trip down memory lane — when No. 17 UNC hosts Wofford at Carmichael — allows some of that old-time magic to rub off on his current squad. 

“If you’re going to be successful, you need to play at a high level of intensity and at a high level of efficiency,” Williams said Friday at his press conference, “and I haven’t been able to get them to do either one of those.” 

He pretty much hit the nail on the head. 

Through their first nine games, the 6-3 Tar Heels have shot just 40.1 percent from the floor and 28.4 percent from 3-point range. In a loss against No. 3 Ohio State, UNC was on the wrong end of a 35-13 run in the final 15:36 of the game; versus No. 9 Virginia, a 16-3 run late in the second half served as the backbreaker.

The only UNC player averaging more than 12 points per game is first-year guard Cole Anthony (19.1 points per game). But even he’s shooting only 36.8 percent on 152 attempts, more than double the attempts of junior forward Garrison Brooks, who’s second on the team with 75.  

“I’ve gotta get him to trust everybody else more,” Williams said of Anthony. “Trust what’s gonna happen, and not take it upon himself to do too much.” 

For Anthony to feel at ease giving the ball up more often, his teammates have to find ways to score. 

“We have to do a better job of making him feel comfortable and making him trust us,” senior guard Brandon Robinson said. “Because we haven’t been hitting shots.” 

UNC needs Robinson — the lone four-year player in the rotation — to take a big step forward this season. After missing the team’s first four games with a sprained ankle, he’s averaged just nine points through five games. 

“Me having to sit down, not being able to play basketball, it kinda set me back a little bit,” he said. “And I feel like my rhythm was off, and it’s still off a little bit. So, I’m still working to try and get that back.”

While the Tar Heels rank 249th of 353 teams in Division I with 68.9 points per game, Sunday’s contest with the Terriers, who rank 153rd in scoring defense, may provide the confidence-boosting win this team desperately needs. 

And of course, they’ll hope some of that magic of the old auditorium rubs off on their season, too. 

“I just can’t wait for it,” Robinson said. “I know it’s going to be loud in there.” 

@pupadhyaya_