Mr. Brown goes to Washington: UNC football experiences rare tour of the Capitol

IMG_1906.JPG

Members of the UNC football team in the Rotunda of the United States Capitol

WASHINGTON, D.C.— For around half an hour on Monday, the North Carolina football team was able to experience something few Americans ever will — sitting on the floor of the chamber of the House of Representatives.

Invited by former U.S. Rep. Mike McIntyre, D-N.C., the team heard about the history of the room and the monumental decisions made there, saw bullet holes left from the 1954 U.S. Capitol shooting incident and looked at the busts of the historical and mythical lawmakers high on the walls of the chamber. 

Most of the team had never been to D.C., where the team is currently staying in preparation for the Military Bowl in Annapolis, Maryland on Friday against Temple. 

"We really think that athletics adds a lot to the educational mission," athletic director Bubba Cunningham told the DTH. "... anything we can do with our student athletes to provide an educational tour outside the classroom, we really try to take advantage of that." 

McIntyre arranged the visit when he was in Chapel Hill last Monday, sitting in Top of the Hill listening to head coach Mack Brown speak on the radio about the team's upcoming trip to Washington, D.C. At the prompting of his wife, Dee, McIntyre invited the team to tour the Capitol and sit on the floor of the House Chambers. 

Normally, citizens are barred from the floor and have to sit in the balcony. The only way it's possible is if the House is not in session and the group is accompanied by a current or former House Representative. 

To make it happen, McIntyre flew up the morning of the tour from North Carolina to accompany the team. No phones or electronics of any kind are allowed in the chamber, so there are no pictures of the moment.

"It makes you realize that everybody has a stake in what happens of the future of out country," McIntyre said. "And I've often told students, you may not have one interest in politics or law, you may want to go into medicine or education or be an engineer … but every field of endeavor in life in America is affected by what happens right here." 

After a morning practice at an Alexandria, Virginia high school, the team was given the opportunity to explore some of the city's culture. 

"When I first got in (to football) I thought you had to get to a bowl to keep making progress with your team and you had to win the game to make sure you grow as a team and all that stuff," Brown said. 

"And now it's much more than that. It's an opportunity for some young people who wouldn't have a good Christmas at home to be safe and have gifts and have a nice play to stay … and at the same time, for others it's a time to be together as a family in a wonderful city, and get experiences they can't get alone." 

For UNC, the experience was just one perk of earning its first bowl game since 2016. The team, after going a combined 5-18 in the two years prior, has a chance to finish 2019 with a winning record if it can defeat the Owls Friday. 

"It's been the most fun I've had in my whole career playing football," senior safety Myles Dorn said after the morning practice. "It's just a joy being here, and coming through with these guys is the best part of my day by far." 

The fun extended to later that day, when McIntyre handed quarterback Sam Howell a football, which he promptly threw to his head coach. 

"They said you can't take photos, but they didn't say you can't throw a football," McIntyre laughed. 

@bg_keyes