'He just flipped a switch': Javonte Williams' big night gives UNC win over N.C. State

20191130_Pirozzi_FootballvState-434.jpg

N.C. State sophomore Tyler Baker-Williams (13) tackles UNC's sophomore running back Javonte Williams (25) in the endzone during a game at Carter-Finley Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 30, 2019. UNC beat State 41-10, the first time since 2015. 

RALEIGH – At halftime in Carter-Finley Stadium, the North Carolina football team trailed rival N.C. State 10-6.

But a 28-point explosion in the third quarter, thanks to three touchdowns from sophomore running back Javonte Williams, blew the game wide open for UNC and led to a 41-10 win, the team's sixth of the year.

Now the Tar Heels are going bowling.

“I thought the biggest difference in the second half was turnovers that led to points. That led the game to get out of hand very quickly,” head coach Mack Brown said. “The other stat that’s amazing is 24 out of the last 27 years, the team that has run the ball for the most yards has won the game (between UNC and N.C. State).”

That streak continued with the lights-out performance by Williams, who helped UNC rush for 180 rushing yards over N.C. States’ 132 rushing yards. While junior running back Michael Carter led the Tar Heels with 97 yards, Williams had 58 yards on the ground, 42 through the air and the three scores to put the game away.

“We know we’re good enough to play with anyone in the country, and I think we showed that tonight in the second half,” Williams said. “I felt like we took their pride. They started getting down and we just capitalized.” 

After the Wolfpack held Williams to just seven yards on four carries in the first half, Williams put the team on his back in the third quarter. He had his best game of the season to change the tide for the struggling offense. 

Williams’s 26-yard rush for a touchdown just a few minutes into the third would give UNC the lead for good. He added an 11-yard touchdown catch from quarterback Sam Howell, then tacked on a six-yard scoring run just three minutes later to earn UNC's first bowl appearance since 2016.

“It’s almost like he just flipped a switch,” Howell said.

Against Mercer last week, Williams rushed for only 27 yards with zero receiving yards and only put up 25 rushing yards with zero receiving yards against Pitt the game prior.

But he made a statement on Saturday. 

The reason for that flipped switch might have been a result of a wardrobe change — Williams changed cleats minutes before halftime after feeling like they were too slippery — or it could have been Brown’s challenge to the O-line, who stepped up and allowed Williams to blow the game wide open in the second half.

“I don’t know what Javonte did with his cleats, but I’m glad he did it,” lineman Nick Polino said. “Once we started running the ball effectively, we kind of opened up the game for everything else. I definitely think that little streak where we got three turnovers in a row and turned that into 21 points was a backbreaker for them.”

The general consensus amongst the UNC team is one of pure joy — not just because of the big win, and not just because of the bowl game appearance. Javonte Williams says it was a special feeling to help the Tar Heel veterans go out the right way.

“I’m just glad for the seniors,” Williams said. “They work hard, and they haven't gotten the results over the past two years. Now they get to go to a bowl game. I just think that’s phenomenal.”

@macyemeyer