UNC women's basketball stays undefeated with 71-58 win over Temple in Cancun Challenge

20191122_Edwards_wbasketball_dth-04785.jpg
UNC junior center Janelle Bailey (30) blocks Elon freshman forward Maya Johnson (24) on Friday, Nov. 23, 2019 in Carmichael Arena. UNC won 76-46.

The North Carolina women’s basketball team utilized a strong early run to top Temple, 71-58, in its first game of the Cancun Challenge on Thursday. 

North Carolina (5-0) came out of the gates with a dominant 12-0 run to start the game, utilizing redshirt senior guard Madinah Muhammad’s 10 points to build an impressive lead. Following a timeout, Temple’s (4-3) offense began to click and closed the gap to nine, making it a 20-11 game at the end of the first quarter.

Muhammad continued her offensive attack coming out of the break, burying a three-pointer seconds into the new quarter. She shot perfect from the field until midway through the second quarter, leading the team with 17 points. 

The Tar Heels built their lead throughout the second quarter by utilizing a variety of offensive attacks, scoring at all three levels and drawing fouls. Junior center Janelle Bailey stood out for UNC in the post, using the physicality of the game to her advantage in getting to the free throw line and finishing contested shots near the basket. Bailey finished the half with a near double-double, impressing for the Tar Heels with 13 points and eight rebounds.

Despite Temple putting together a run in the middle of the first half, even pulling the game to single digits at one point, North Carolina maintained its confidence and ended the first half with a 42-20 lead. 

Temple came out of the locker room firing, starting the half with an 8-2 run and outscoring North Carolina throughout the quarter. The Owls were able to cash in on opportunities near the basket that weren't being converted in the first half, drawing the game closer despite still being unable to slow down the North Carolina offense.

Again, UNC remained unfazed and continued to convert on offensive opportunities, maintaining a double digit lead going into the final quarter of play.

The post presence of Bailey and first-year Malu Tshitenge guided the Tar Heels offensive attack in the closing quarter, with both players getting to the free throw line and converting in important moments.

Temple continued its comeback effort into the fourth quarter, at one point pulling North Carolina within 12, but fell short in the end. The Tar Heels found ways to score and maintain their lead, despite the swing in momentum. 

Even with a physical comeback attempt from Temple, North Carolina never trailed and pulled away to win, 71-58.

After she was selected to the 2020 Lisa Leslie Award Watch List in October, Bailey displayed her skill level on Thursday night. The center finished the game with 19 points and 11 rebounds and led the way for the Tar Heels through tight second-half moments. In what was a physical game, her post presence was key in guiding North Carolina victory.

Had UNC not started the game on a 12-0 run, the final result could have been very different. As the Owls started to click offensively in the second half, that initial deficit held them back from ever making the game truly close. 

In head coach Courtney Banghart’s first year at the helm for North Carolina, the team’s 5-0 start has been impressive. Playing in a neutral site game far from Chapel Hill, UNC came out of the gates ready to play and established the pace of the game early on.

The Tar Heels will look to continue the early season success that was exemplified against Temple going into the bulk of their schedule.

North Carolina will be back in action in the Cancun Challenge at 9 p.m. on Friday to face Missouri.

@zachycrain