Op-ed: Who asked for this?

By inviting Corey Lewandowski to UNC-Chapel Hill’s campus, UNC College Republicans demonstrated their disrespect for democratic institutions and disregard of truth and justice. When Lewandowski testified before the House Judiciary Committee in September, he publicly admitted to lying to the media about whether Trump asked him to get involved with the Justice Department or former Attorney General Jeff Sessions. Lewandowski cannot be trusted to speak the truth. 

According to The Daily Tar Heel’s reporting on the event, Lewandowski said the key to political conversations is “taking the rhetoric out and talking about the facts.” I imagine the irony of his statement was lost by those in attendance. 

Apparently unable to find enough UNC students to fill the room, College Republicans sold tickets to non-students for $50 each. Even with the addition of outsiders willing to fork over $50 to hear talking points from the ex-manager of a fraud-ridden campaign that failed to win the popular vote, attendance was paltry. In the University desk’s video, the room looked nearly empty after the protestors’ walkout.

I believe that, as UNC’s student organization affiliates of the two major political parties, UNC Young Democrats and UNC College Republicans both have an obligation to increase understanding of the political process. Given Lewandowski’s history of misinformation and obfuscation, I believe College Republicans’ decision to host this event was motivated by showmanship rather than an intention to fulfill our shared duty to engage Tar Heels in democracy. 

Providing a platform for this inflammatory figure was antithetical to the University’s founding motto of light and liberty. I hope that College Republicans will prioritize substance over spectacle in the future by inviting higher-quality speakers.

Alana Edwards, President of UNC Young Democrats

Political science and public relations double major