Advisory Committee discusses search for chief diversity officer and new faculty

20200117_Duong_FGCMeeting-1.jpg

Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz addresses the members of the faculty, the media and guests at a meeting of the Faculty Governance Council in Kerr Hall on Friday, Jan. 17, 2020. The meeting addressed Commission on History, Race and a Way Forward and Carolina Next: Innovations for Public Good, Guskiewicz remarking: "“I do believe that with the pending litigation that there are opportunities for us to have a better outcome with this, and I promise you I will continue to be a voice for you in those conversations.”

UNC's Advisory Committee met Wednesday to discuss the search for a Chief Diversity Officer, new faculty positions focusing on the study of U.S. slavery and the state budget’s impact on departments at the University. 

The main discussions Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz brought up revolved around the Chief Diversity Officer and faculty searches.  

“We will be launching, by the end of next week, a search for a new position of vice provost for equity and inclusion,” Guskiewicz said. “This will be a national search and this individual will also serve as the University’s Chief Diversity Officer.” 

Guskiewicz asked for thoughts on appointing an interim vice provost to the position while the search for a permanent candidate proceeds. 

Members said they would prefer a different approach over appointing an individual to serve in the role temporarily. 

“Perhaps there is somebody who is interested, understands the importance of it, but is really only interested in helping to bridge,” said James Hirschfield, committee member and professor in the Department of Art and Art History.  

Rohit Ramaswamy, committee member and professor in the Gillings School of Global Public Health, had a similar point of view. 

“Have the role not necessarily defined as interim, but perhaps as somebody who is leading a priority project with a view overlapping with the person who gets hired so that they can complete their tasks,” Ramaswamy said. 

Another point of discussion involved the national search for two faculty scholars to study the topic of U.S. slavery, which is a part of Guskiewicz's History, Race and a Way Forward initiative. 

Guskiewicz said the search for these new faculty members would span academic departments — not solely limited to the Department of History. 

Most members agreed that a hiring process across departments and schools at UNC would benefit the Chancellor's initiative.

“It would be interesting to see with a dual hire whether one would go to one kind of department and one would go to another and collaborate with one of these research centers on campus to explicitly bring folks and conversation together," said Malinda Maynor Lowery, advisory committee member and professor in the Department of History. "Maybe there is a Triple-I course that results from it."