48 hours of play production and performance for students, by students

thumbnail_IMG_3693.jpg
The Feb 48 play festival will be held on Feb. 2 at The ArtsCenter in Carrboro, and will feature 48 hours of play production and performance by and for high school students. Photo courtesy of Katie Clark.

On Feb. 2, high school students will have 48 hours to write, direct and perform an original play at The ArtsCenter in Carrboro. 

The Feb 48 play festival is hosted by One Song Productions. The show will begin at 4 p.m. Tickets are $8 for students and $10 for adults.

Feb 48 is a high school student-led event. Katie Clark is one of the production managers for this year's Feb 48. Clark described the process of the three-day event.

“The event begins on Friday night where writers are given two lines from a book — one to start the play with, one to end the play with,” she said. “Then Saturday morning, everyone will meet. The actors and directors will rehearse that script all day, and then will perform it Sunday night.”

Clark said the overall goal of this event is to allow high school students to take on roles they wouldn't normally be able to do, such as writing or directing a play, and even stage-managing. 

It is also an event that offers instant gratification, since the students get to see the final production that Sunday night. 

Gayle Krest has participated in the event before, but has a new role this year as an actress and a writer.

“This year I'm going to be writing the plays on Friday night and I'm also going to be acting in a separate play that will perform on Sunday night,” Krest said. “Last year I was just directing in the play.” 

Krest said she enjoys the amount of student freedom over the event. She also appreciates how the event is not a long commitment so students have the opportunity to participate in multiple extra-curricular activities. 

“It’s only one weekend, so it's not a long commitment, like if you have to commit two weeks of practice,” she said. 

Juliana McRae said she has high hopes of attending the event on Sunday while touring the campus this weekend.  

“I would call myself a theater kid in high school," McRae said. "I did a number of musicals and plays. I love theater and I love UNC. I hope that if I transfer here I will have the opportunity to make theater a part of my college experience.”