Percussionist Colleen Bernstein is bringing strength and sensitivity to UNC

Bernstein Headshot

Colleen Bernstein will be performing as a percussionist on Jan. 17, 2020 at 7 p.m. for the first time at UNC. The performance will be held in the Rehersal Hall of the Kenan Music Building. Photo courtesy of Nadine Sherman Photography. 

On Jan. 17, percussionist Colleen Bernstein is performing for the first time at UNC. The free event will begin at 7 p.m.  in the Rehearsal Hall of the Kenan Music Building.

Bernstein will be performing a variety of styles during her recital. A majority of her work for this performance has been commissioned and is a part of a feature project titled Strength and Sensitivity. 

The project is focused on raising awareness around issues of gender equality, intersectional feminism and empathy, all of which Bernstein is passionate about. 

“My hope is really not so much that students feel like I'm just preaching my own views on it, but more than that, I'm hoping it will create a space where students can reflect on their own experiences in their community,” Bernstein said. “And maybe think of some ways that they could take small steps to work toward a more inclusive or gender equal campus community or just the community in general.” 

Bernstein hopes that conversations will start generating around her music and lead into new pathways of inspiration and interaction throughout UNC’s campus. During the recital, Bernstein will present an assortment of genres, but credits her favorites to be within the contemporary classical brand. 

“I really do love contemporary music, music that is brand new, and is very cutting edge," Bernstein said. "I really love working with composers. So, commissioning them and then kind of collaborating through that process to create new pieces. I just I really love like being involved in creating new work.” 

Hannah Knotts is an English major at UNC planning to attend the event. Although she is not an instrumentalist, she said she does have a deep connection and mutual respect for musicians alike. 

“I really want to expand my musical horizons and hear a new spin on percussion music that I don’t primarily listen too," Knotts said. “I’m interested to see how Bernstein’s work is woven in with feminist ideas, which is something I’m really passionate about.” 

Professor Juan Álamo is in charge of percussion studies at UNC and looks forward to the creative percussion that Bernstein is going to bring to campus.

“... A lot of the music that she's going to be playing has been written by female composers,"  Álamo said. "And that's one of those things that she's very active on promoting. I think all of those things combined make her recital different or unique.”   

@c_heaton726