'The EVE Project' celebrates women's rights through the work of female choreographers

CPA Eve

Leslie Andrea Williams in a January 2020 performance of Martha Graham’s "Chronicle". Photo courtesy of Melissa Sherwood.

Leslie Andrea Williams started dancing at age 3, studied ballet at Juilliard and has trained under acclaimed dancers. She joined Martha Graham Dance Company after being inspired by the choreographer's work, and Thursday she will perform at "The EVE Project" in Memorial Hall.

When considering her possible career options, it was her participation in a performance of Martha Graham’s “Dark Meadow Suite” that opened her eyes to where she could go with her work, both theatrically and physically, and influenced her decision to join the Martha Graham Dance Company. 

The Martha Graham Dance Company will be performing "The EVE Project," an all-female choreographed dance performance put on by Carolina Performing Arts (CPA) on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. in Memorial Hall.

Williams is one of the dancers performing in "The EVE Project," a commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the 19th Amendment, which takes place in August of this year. It is a celebration of the work of legendary choreographer Martha Graham. "The EVE Project" includes classic work from Graham’s repertory, as well as newer work from contemporary female choreographers. 

The objective of "The EVE Project" is to honor the progress that women have made in the century since the 19th Amendment was ratified, and to initiate conversation about all of these accomplishments through the achievements of female innovators such as Martha Graham, said Christina Rodriguez, associate director of marketing and communications for CPA. 

“Martha Graham herself was just an incredibly influential choreographer who really pushed boundaries, and the Company continues to do that, both with the works that they revisit that she choreographed, as well as new work,” Rodriguez said. 

For Williams, "The EVE Project" isn’t just an opportunity to celebrate and remember the past 100 years of women’s accomplishments. It also serves as a catalyst for conversation about what still needs to be done in regard to gender equality.

“I think that there are some areas for growth, and the fact that we still need something like 'The EVE Project' says a lot,” Williams said. “I'm happy that I get to be a part of something like 'The EVE Project,' because it is such a relevant thing that we need to focus on, but at the same time, I wish that it could just be another project, another celebration of dance.”

For Williams, this celebration is embodied in the second piece of the program entitled “Deo,” which was choreographed by Maxine Doyle and Bobbi Jene Smith. 

The piece focuses on the mythological story of Persephone, the Greek goddess of vegetation, and is what Williams describes as a “journey through sexual awakening.” The piece follows the various experiences women have throughout their life, from the relationship they have with their mother to childbirth to understanding individual female strength. 

“I get to kind of remove myself from me, Leslie, and kind of look at the bigger picture as us all collectively as females and what we have to go through and what we experience internally,” Williams said. “It's not really about me anymore, it's about the collective female being.”

This collective experience is the most significant aspect of witnessing art, said Amy Russell, director of programming at CPA. She said "The EVE Project" is an example of the way art can inspire conversation, especially with topics as significant as voting rights and gender equality. 

“It's personally important to me that CPA can reestablish the importance of performance in everyday life,” Russell said. “It's not just going out for like a fancy night, that's not the important part. Being able to look at what Martha Graham had to say in 1936 and what these incredible choreographers today are saying through their work, and we can all reflect on that, is what’s powerful.” 

Williams said in addition to the compelling message of "The EVE Project," what is just as impressive is the diversity of the choreography involved in the program and the versatility of the dancers who are performing it. 

“The women in the company at Martha Graham are really, really strong and versatile,” Williams said. “All the other pieces are all very different. What you'll get is a multifaceted female at the Graham company, and I think you won't leave without saying anything other than, ‘Wow.’”

@Elizabeth_sills