Clemson or LSU? DTH sports desk makes its picks for the CFP National Championship

20200112_SportsDesk-1053.jpg
From left, Jared McMasters (assistant sports editor), Brian Keyes (assistant sports editor), Ryan Wilcox (sports editor), and Matt Chilson (assistant sports editor).

Clemson or LSU? Our four sports editors make their picks for Monday's College Football Playoff National Championship.

Matt Chilson, assistant sports editor

“I’m undefeated, nevah lost,” noted intellectual Lavar Ball said. Trevor Lawrence could echo those same hallowed words if he wanted.

Lawrence is just a winner, there are no if, ands or buts about it. The guy once won 41 straight games in high school and is 29-0 in his college career. Sure, LSU’s offense is electric, and its defense has some of the best defensive backs in the country, but this game is going to be about the dynasty that Clemson is building.

The best quarterback in college football will lead the Tigers to victory in New Orleans, and he will be wearing orange.

Prediction: Clemson 35, LSU 31

Brian Keyes, assistant sports editor

Joe Burrow threw seven touchdowns in a game. Joe Burrow threw seven touchdowns IN A HALF — in the playoffs! That's more touchdowns than Northwestern threw all season. Clemson might be first in the country in fewest passing yards allowed, but Burrow just completed what might have been the statistically greatest passing season in college football. 

I'm backing the REAL best quarterback in the country. 

Prediction: LSU 42, Clemson 30 

Jared McMasters, assistant sports editor

How can anybody pick against Joe Burrow at this point? It truly baffles me.

The Heisman winner is the perfect archetype for an underdog-turned-hero story that could rival “Rudy.” After some struggles on the field following his transfer to LSU, Burrow burst onto the scene in 2019 and has thrown for over 5,200 yards and 55 touchdowns.

The quarterback for the Tigers is a certified stud.

Plus, he’s also completely committed to his team and his coach. I mean, just watch his Heisman acceptance speech.

Those are the sniffles of a leader that will do whatever it takes to bring a championship home to Baton Rouge.

Prediction: LSU 41, Clemson 31

Ryan Wilcox, sports editor

This is a tough one — the Tigers have been elite all season, yet on the other hand the Tigers are dominant on both sides of the ball. I'm expecting a real battle between what I think are the two most talented teams in college football. 

The big question: can the Tigers slow down the Tigers' highly-touted quarterback enough to let their own gunslinger do what he does best? Personally, I say no; I think the Tigers proved a lot in that semifinal win over that other top-4 team, and they'll come out ready to play. 

I also think their colorful head coach wins the X's and O's battle against that weirdo from the other school.

Prediction: Tigers 28, Tigers 27