The odd traditions of the Nacirema: Was MLK a communist?

Kyende headshot

The term Nacirema is American spelled backward. It was first introduced by Horace Miner in, "Body Ritual Among the Nacirema." Today, it is mainly used by anthropologists to distance themselves, and avoid personal bias, when writing about American culture, its rituals, and its customs.

On Monday Jan. 20, Nacirema country celebrated Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Dr. King was one of the leaders of the civil rights movement that took place in the 1950s and 1960s. This movement was a period when minority tribes in Nacirema country were fighting for more civil liberties from the authoritative regime put in place by the majority.

In this country, and in most other countries, Dr. King is celebrated for his “I Have a Dream” speech, as well as his advocacy for nonviolent activism — which were indeed remarkable. However, there is little acknowledgement for his critiques of capitalism.

Dr. King was not a “commie” — a word that some Naciremans use to describe communists — rather he recognized that capitalism may no longer be useful. Dr King wrote, "I am convinced that capitalism has seen its best days in America, and not only in America, but in the entire world." 

Needless to say he wouldn't be too pleased with a Ram ad during the 2018 Superbowl, which conveniently left out the part of Dr. King's sermon that criticized consumerism. 

Now my hypothesis on why Naciremans often omit Dr. King’s dissenting opinion on capitalism is due to a fear of its implications. Indeed, there has been significant progress within, and cooperation among, Nacireman tribes since the '60s. However, there is still much more that needs to be done.

Perhaps this difficulty with acknowledging the more uncomfortable side of Dr. King’s critique has to do with the fact that not much has changed on the front of racial economic disparities. In fact, it may have gotten worse. Thus, the common adage that “Things have gotten better," as President Obama once said, may lose part of its meaning.

To recognize Dr. King’s dissonance with capitalism would mean that Naciremans would also have to reckon with their own contributions to the maintenance of an unjust and unequal society. Perhaps it is much easier to refer back to Dr. King’s "I Have A Dream" speech because who can deny that little black boys and girls can join hands with little white boys and girls in today’s Nacirema country. Indeed, this is a remarkable triumph. 

Nonetheless, it may be best for locals not to cherry-pick Dr. King’s quotes. To honor a leader you must acknowledge all of their parts, including those that make you uncomfortable.