Office DJ: Catholic school dance hot tracks

20191110_Duong_MichaelHeadshot-1.jpg

Michael Taffe is the Assistant City and State Desk Editor at the Daily Tar Heel.

It’s Saturday night. It’s 2011. It’s time for the school dance.

But this isn’t just any school dance — tonight’s event is at the city’s hottest new venue: your Catholic middle school. 

Sandwiched between a church and that little house where the priest lives, this place is gonna be decorated to a T.  

Forget your uniform polo shirts and plaid skorts. Gotta go home and (ask your dad to help you) put on your best (only) tie and lace up your Skechers. It’s gonna be a wild night. 

Everybody’s gonna be there: Becky from social studies, Tom from science, all the heads. 

When the clock strikes 6:30 p.m., about 100 of your classmates are going to descend on the cafegymatorium. The D.J. (your friend's high school brother) is gonna be spinning all the tracks. 

But how embarrassing would it be to not know the words to the latest Black Eyed Peas song or forget the moves to the Cupid Shuffle? 

Well, never fear. We’ve got you covered. 

This is a list of pre-approved clean songs to study up on for the Catholic middle school dance. I even threw a few slow ones in there. But watch those hands mister — you need to leave room for the holy spirit. 

You didn’t do the night right if you didn’t mosh with your boys to an LMFAO song, cry to a ballad from Owl City or hide behind a balloon when it’s time to ask a girl to dance. 

Good luck and have fun kids! 

But not too much fun. Church starts at 8 a.m. tomorrow morning. 

@MichaelJTaffe