Column: New year, new elections, new coverage

sonia headshot

The OC Voice is a portion of the OC Report newsletter where local residents may have a platform to talk about local issues they care about. Sonia Rao is a new assistant editor on the City & State desk.

As university students, we are often focused on the big picture — maybe sometimes a little too focused. 

We make 10-year plans and stress out over the uncertainty of the future when we could be enjoying the present. I should know — I’m guilty of it myself. 

The same sentiment can often be found when it comes to elections. Many people tend to forget that the presidential candidates are not going to be the only names on the ballot in the 2020 March primaries. In the upcoming primary, which will be held on March 3, statewide offices on the ballot include the North Carolina lieutenant governor, attorney general, secretary of state and members of the state Senate and House of Representatives. 

Locally, Orange County will be electing county commissioners, Orange County Schools Board of Education members and district court judges. 

Although primary day is officially March 3, early voting begins on Feb. 13 and absentee voting by mail begins on Jan. 13. 

We know it can be hard to break down the big picture and focus on the smaller details. The list of candidates seems endless and can be overwhelming to look at. That’s why we’re here to help.

From compiling a list of candidates for the primaries and showing what precinct UNC students can vote in to explaining whether or not you need a photo ID to vote, the City & State desk wants to help you navigate through this election season and beyond. 

For the 2019 elections, we created a voting guide for the Chapel Hill-Carrboro elections as well as a series of videos detailing the candidates’ answers to important questions relating to the district.

It’s a new year, it’s a new decade and our New Year’s resolution is to revamp our elections coverage to best suit your needs. We want to hear your voices! Subscribe to our weekly newsletter, the OC Report, down below and don’t be afraid to email us with tips, coverage requests or ideas — our inbox is always open. 

Let us know what kind of coverage you want to see this year, and we will do our best to make it happen. 

If you live in Orange County and want to make your voice heard on something you care about locally, email city@dailytarheel.com.