It’s no secret that the University of North Carolina loves its men’s basketball. Fans from all over the state packing into the Dean Dome. Students anxiously refreshing their computers in hopes of winning tickets from the lottery system. Everyone storming Franklin Street after victory over in-state rival Duke. 

Basketball is ingrained into its culture.

However, on the day that sparked some of the most excitement all year, Roy Williams said something that many would consider surprising given the event.

At this year's Late Night with Roy event, in the midst of all the elaborate player intros, complex dance routines and casual scrimmages, there was a tribute to the school’s legendary women’s soccer coach, Anson Dorrance. In a touching speech commending Dorrance’s impact, Williams called the University a women's soccer school. The casual UNC fan probably shrugged the comment off, thinking it was just Williams trying to be nice to his longtime friend. 

But he’s right. Dean Smith said the same thing back in 1997. 

Not enough people really understand how dominant Dorrance’s tenure has been. With him at the helm, UNC has won 21 of 38 total national championships, including a span where it won nine in a row from 1986 to 1994.

I am not great at math, but that's a lot more than the six titles men's basketball has. 

I know that the state of women’s soccer has become increasingly more competitive since the time that Dorrance won most of the titles. I am also aware that there's historically more parity among men’s basketball teams. However, you cannot deny that this run is impressive. 

Some people may counter, saying that UNC basketball has produced possibly the best athlete to ever exist in Michael Jordan.

Let me introduce you to Mia Hamm, possibly the best female athlete in history. Not to mention alumnae Kristine Lilly, Heather O'Reilly, Crystal Dunn and Tobin Heath, who are all World Cup winners (Hamm, Lily and Heath have won two). 

So what, if women’s soccer is the top sport at North Carolina, then men's basketball has to be second on the list, right?

Wrong.

That honor belongs to Karen Shelton’s field hockey team, which just won its eighth national title and completed a second straight undefeated season.This a team that has not lost any game since I have stepped foot on campus, and I fully expect them to not lose again until I graduate. 

I am not saying that men’s basketball program should not be considered an elite program. It is without a doubt one of the best in the country. I just believe that North Carolina should not only be called a basketball school when there are other deserving programs to represent the University. 

UNC is a women’s soccer and field hockey school, as well. 

Both teams receive an underwhelming amount of support relative to the accolades they bring to Chapel Hill, but they've earned the right to be part of our culture. So do yourself a favor and go to some of their games next season, and witness two of the best coaches in college sports while they're still here chasing titles. 

And listen to Roy and Dean. Tar Heel fans know that they are usually right.

@ryanheller23