North Carolina swimming and diving team fall to Virginia

20200117_Duong_SwimDiveNCState-4.jpg
Head Coach Mark Gangloff gathers the swim and dive teams to deliver a post-meet speech following a loss to NC State in Koury Natatorium on Friday, Jan. 17, 2020. The Tar Heels' fell to the Wolfpack 187.5-112.5 in men's and 182-118 women's.

UNC Swimming and Diving fell to the University of Virginia, who are ranked 17th in men's and 6th in women's swimming and diving, on Jan. 25 with a men's score of 118-181 and a women's score of 125-171.

The Carolina team found success amidst the loss, taking home a number of first place finishes. The Tar Heel women finished had swimmers finish first in the 100-yard freestyle event, tying for first in the 50-yard freestyle and finishing second in the 200-yard backstroke event.

The men also succeeded in a number of events, with first-place success for individual swimmers in the 100-yard backstroke, breaststroke and freestyle events. The men's diving team also won first place in both the one-meter and three-meter diving events.

Head coach Mark Gangloff was proud of the performance of the entire team but noted the success of the relay teams which have shown great improvement this year.

"That's a great indicator for the program," Gangloff said. "When you have people stepping up and wanting to represent and wanting to put the UNC on their shoulders and perform at a high level. We had some really nice relay performances today."

Specifically, Gangloff mentioned the success of the Medley Relays which started the day. Both the men's and women's relay teams placed second in this event and gave the heels a strong start.

"Those were some really kind of unexpected swims in terms of the amount of time we've dropped across the board," Gangloff said. "Even though we didn't win those races, I would say looking at those splits is a great indicator of how far we've come this year."

The Virginia team jumped to a fast lead early in the meet, placing first in the starting seven events. The North Carolina team battled but eventually fell to the competitive, higher-ranked Cavalier team.

"My constant challenge to this team is when you face really good competition to stay resilient, to stay in the meet and to stay in your own lane." Gangloff said. "As a group, I think we're doing that and doing well at that."

The Carolina team showed that resilience today picking up some late wins in individual events which narrowed Virginia's margin of victory.

The North Carolina team has seen improvement during Gangloff's first year as head coach. This positive moment will be important as they head into their final meet of the season and on to post-season competition.

The team heads into their final meet against Duke next Saturday, Feb. 1. Despite losses in recent years Gangloff is optimistic about how his team will compete next week.

"I think that will be an exciting meet for us," Gangloff said.

@marymacporter1