WXYC looking to welcome new DJs for spring 2020

Sophomore psychology and statistics major Joanna Zhang works as a student DJ at UNC's WXYC.

WXYC, UNC's student-run radio station, is hiring new DJs for spring 2020 who are eager to explore new music and expand their tastes. 

WXYC broadcasts live from the Frank Porter Graham Student Union 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Not only do they broadcast on their FM radio station, 89.3 FM, but they are credited with being the first radio station in the world to broadcast on the internet. 

The station will hold an interest meeting on Jan. 8 on the Wilson Library stairs at 6 p.m., where interested applicants will learn more about the station, the WXYC mission and what is expected from new DJs. At the end of the meeting, those interested will get a link to the application and the opportunity to pick a time slot for a short, 10-minute interview on Jan. 8 or Jan. 9. 

WXYC will also be holding an open house from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m., right before the interest meeting, in the station's headquarters which are at the back of the third floor of the Union. At this open house, those interested can tour the station and have any of their questions answered. No prior DJ experience is necessary, and any current UNC students, including graduate students and first year students, are encouraged to apply. 

Senior Elinor Walker is the station manager of WXYC. She said that WXYC is a free-form radio station, which means that they are not bound by block programming.

“We don’t do an hour of rock, and then an hour of hip-hop, and then an hour of jazz,” Walker said. “Every set that we have is any and all kinds of music from any genre, any time period, any region of the world.”

Walker said that working at WXYC is not only a fun activity, but it is also an opportunity to platform artists that may not get it elsewhere, especially local artists in the Triangle. 

“I think radio is a unique medium in which to both share music and create art,” Walker said. “It provides an opportunity not only to learn more about music, but to also share music that might not have as much airtime or notice because of where it’s from or who’s making the music.”

DJ and Programming Manager Aysha Diallo said she decided to interview for the station during her first year at UNC, while she was looking for an organization to join. Diallo’s favorite part of working at WXYC is hanging out with her radio crew and spending time with the friends she’s made at the station. 

“People should want to DJ because it will give you a chance to meet very cool people, explore music you typically wouldn’t listen to, and it’s a great way to dance, as well,” Diallo said.

She said WXYC looks for people that are both enthusiastic about music and also people who are open-minded, especially when it comes to listening to different types of music.

Jenna Levy, a sophomore studying psychology and computer science, also DJs at WXYC.  She knew she wanted to get involved in college radio before she came to UNC, and she learned about WXYC at Carolina Kickoff. 

“One of the counselors said ‘Hey I work at WXYC, our college radio station,’ and she told me all the information about signups and what it was like,” Levy said. “I went to the interest meeting and I interviewed, and I got it on the first try, which was really lucky.”

Levy said that those who love music will be amazed by the volume of the station library, which contains over 70,000 pieces of physical music. Levy said she has listened to a lot of music that she never otherwise thought she would be exposed to. 

“If you want to learn a lot about music, your mind will be blown just by how many physical copies of music are in the station and the wealth of knowledge from people who are involved with the station,” Levy said. 

Levy said she encourages anyone interested to apply, even if they are nervous or not completely sure about it.

“If you’re unsure, interview anyways, give it a shot,” Levy said. “There’s no harm in trying it.”

@topol_morgan