The Meantime Coffee Co. to host the very first 'CaffeinART' student art sale

225 article.jpg

"CaffeinART," hosted by The Meantime Coffee Co. will be at the Campus Y on Friday, Feb. 28, 2020 from 5:30 - 9 p.m. Flyer courtesy of Isabel Perry. 

Original art crafted by students meets coffee this Friday with “CaffeinART," The Meantime Coffee Co.'s first annual student art sale. 

"CaffeinART" will be hosted in the Anne Queen Lounge at the Campus Y from 5:30 to 9 p.m. on Feb. 28. 

Student art of all mediums — including paintings, ceramics and prints — will be sold, and the event is open to all students. Isabel Perry, a UNC senior and event manager for The Meantime Coffee Co.’s marketing team, said that they have around 30 artists participating in the event and contributing their work.

“I’ve reached out to student artists through the art department, but it’s also open to students of all majors and all students can contribute art if they want to,” Perry said.

Perry said that the team met at the beginning of the semester to discuss creating different art events. She said they had wanted to do an art sale for a long time, and making one was a priority for them. 

Perry said that she’s been organizing with the students and keeping in touch with them to make sure there is enough art for the art sale. Other members of the team are working on social media, creating posters and completing other tasks to prepare. 

“It’s open to all different mediums of art,” Perry said. “From what I’ve received back, there are a lot of prints that people want to sell, there are also lots of ceramics, paintings and jewelry, too. There’s a little bit of everything.”

Perry said that as an artist herself, there aren’t a lot of opportunities for students to not just sell their art, but celebrate it, as well. She said there are also not many opportunities to see the work of other students. 

"It’ll be fun, but also come support students artists, even if you’re not buying anything," Perry said. "I think showing up says a lot about how you appreciate what they’re doing.”

Perry said that the Meantime's name stems from how easy it is to forget the time someone is in right now. In college there is a lot of focus on the future and plans after graduation. This is part of how the “The Meantime” was created, and Perry said this event represents that mission. 

“I think this event really celebrates our cause of wanting to appreciate the moment we’re living in right now with our peers and celebrating their talents and the current moment,” Perry said.

Melissa Kissling, a UNC sophomore and student artist, said that supporting student artists is important because the artists in the community reflect the culture of their community.

“The same people who are making art around you are influenced by ideas that ring true for the community,” Kissling said. “It’s a representation that we can relate to more than others could. It’s also important to financially support people who are doing this for a career or taking up their time doing this, and it’s important to support the art in the community.”

Katy Meier, a UNC sophomore interested in attending the event, said student-focused art events such as this can provide them with experience and gives them a safe environment to start showcasing their work.

“I think people should attend because it’s a unique event to have on college campuses," Meier said. "And we get to be around so many student artists and I know there are a lot of creative students here so I think there will be a lot of really cool work at this event."