Meet the new principal of Cedar Ridge High School

carolos ramirez
Carlos Ramirez is taking over as principal of Cedar Ridge High School this week. Photo courtesy of Orange County Schools.

With 28 years worth of public education experience under his belt, Carlos Ramirez said his vision as the new principal for Cedar Ridge High School includes expanding the IB program, engaging with community stakeholders and creating a collective vision among staff.

Ramirez’s first day as the new principal of Cedar Ridge High School is Monday. 

“We are excited to have Dr. Ramirez as the new principal, and we are looking forward to him engaging with Cedar Ridge’s family, community and staff,” said Will Atherton, chairperson of the Orange County Schools Board of Education.

One of Ramirez’s plans is to start a discussion about broadening the IB program across schools. Cedar Ridge is the only Orange County school with an IB Diploma Program.

“I would love to see an articulated program that runs from elementary, to middle, to high school,” Ramirez said. “I’ve seen it in action when I worked as an educator in Texas, and it’s quite a powerful thing to get students as young as fifth graders started on the IB track.”

In terms of opportunity, Ramirez said his plan is two-fold: he wants to increase representation of all groups in IB and AP classes at Cedar Ridge, and increase opportunities for graduating seniors leaving Cedar Ridge.

“I want every single kid to walk out of our school with a direction — whether that be college, or getting their foot in door in any kind of industry,” said Ramirez.

Orange County Schools Superintendent Monique Felder praised Ramirez for his track record of improving education outcomes for students.  

“He understands that all students need excellence, equity and access every day, and he works with stakeholders — staff, students, families and the community — to ensure students get what they need to achieve,” she said.

By the beginning of the new school year this fall, Ramirez said he wants to create a collective vision for the teachers that focuses on what they stand for, what they want for their students and where they’re headed as a school.

“Ramirez has a laser-like focus on increasing student achievement through the lens of equity where all kids get what they need to achieve,” Felder said.

As a parent of a Cedar Ridge junior himself, Ramirez said he’s excited to engage with the community.

“I’ve been an educator for a while, and I’m excited to become principal of Cedar Ridge,” Ramirez said. “It’s a special place, and I see lots of opportunities with the teachers, community and students.”