Editorial: Why you should watch Netflix's 'Cheer'

DOGS SNIFF WHERE? PEE YEW! YEAH! PERIOD! TASTES LIKE CHICKEN! SHARK BAIT! HOO HA HA! WELCOME TO THE RING OF FIRE! THE RING OF FIRE! YEAH! 

To anyone who does not watch Netflix’s “Cheer,” the above words don’t make much sense. But to fans of the show, hearing this nonsense is music to our ears. This random chant comes from the Navarro College cheer team, the subject of Netflix’s recent docuseries. “Cheer” follows a community college cheerleading team from Corsicana, Texas as they prepare for the National Cheerleaders Association Collegiate National Championship in Daytona, Florida. The series shows the audience what it’s like to be a cheerleader and coach for one of the best cheer teams in the country.

The stars of “Cheer” are loved by many, but none more so than here among our Editorial Board. Monica, Jerry, Morgan, Lexi, La’Darius and the rest of the squad are our heroes. 

Below are a few of the Editorial Board’s favorite moments from the show. If this doesn’t convince you to watch, we don’t know what will.

Paige: I love “Cheer” because at its core, it’s not really a show about cheerleading. You don’t have to care about cheerleading (or even sports in general) in order to enjoy it. At the risk of sounding cliche, it’s about the human experience and the beauty of finding your life’s purpose. Unlike some documentaries, it has obvious depth and emotion — it's easy to empathize with the athletes’ backstories and admire their never-ending strength in the face of adversity. It's both heartbreaking and uplifting, and I loved every single episode.

Dev: This show stands out as one of few examples of queer storytelling that doesn’t rely on homophobic tragedy in order to be powerful. While the storyline with La’Darius’ family exemplifies the typical fem-gay-bashing narrative that we’re accustomed to, this isn’t central to his narrative. The true story of La’Darius is one of extreme personal growth and introspection, and comes positively full-circle when his brother is shown watching the final competition at the end. Similarly, Jerry’s sexuality isn’t central to his character development. His evolution is shown through a lens of grief, body image and class struggle that adds depth to his character in a manner that’s atypical to these kinds of documentaries. 

P.S. We stan Monica for being an example of the fact that Christian faith and queer acceptance can coexist — she’ll fight her pastor to protect her gay cheerleaders, and she’s an iconic ally for that.

Emily: “Cheer” is an amazing documentary because beyond being interesting, it gets to the core of what any series should be able to do:  it makes you emotional. If you can look me in the eye and tell me you didn’t cry during that one scene with La’Darius’ brother in the last episode (you know the one), you are either a LIAR or heartless. 

Abbas: The best part about “Cheer” is how real the series depicts the successes and failures of the Navarro College cheerleading team. The show captures how important it is for youth and young adults to have role models and avenues to express themselves. Monica is a class-act who represents the best parts of what a coach should be. She is a leader, a compassionate ally and a steadfast source of support for the team. Her dedication is what makes me love the show so much. Seeing someone take care of her program, but also the kids in it? That is what sports should be. She helps the team find their purpose and make something of themselves. “Cheer” is a show for everyone — sports fans, dancers or regular Netflix bingers. We get to experience the ups and downs right alongside the team, and it makes for some emotional moments. If you aren’t crying by the end, something is definitely wrong. 

opinion@dailytarheel.com