'Clothing has no gender': Feminist Clothing Swap celebrates gender identity

feminist clothing swap

A Feminist Clothing Swap took place in the Pit on Monday, Feb. 17. The clothing swap was organized by Campus Y group CAGE and Coulture Magazine.

Carolina Advocates for Gender Equity teamed up with Coulture Magazine to sell stacks of clothes in the Pit and show that style knows no gender.

The 3rd Annual Feminist Clothing Swap sold everything from ponchos to mom jeans from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Monday.

“We want to promote on campus that clothing has no gender because we really are passionate about breaking down those gender stereotypes and the binary,” said Reis Phillips, a member of CAGE who’s done gender equity work since high school.

CAGE, a group within the Campus Y, celebrates the spectrum of gender identity and expression
and aims to cultivate a safe environment through advocacy and awareness programs at UNC, according to the group's website. 

CAGE paired with Coulture, a student-run fashion and lifestyle magazine, to organize the event. 

Swap organizers eliminated the distinction between men’s and women’s clothing by mixing in clothes to create a no-pressure environment for students to buy anything they wanted.

Abby Boggins, a psychology major, stopped by to browse the clothing selection, but hadn't heard of the mission behind the swap until she arrived. She said it's a great idea because many thrift or retail stores are separated by gender. 

"You might not initially think about shopping as something where you would need that, but there's really so many nuanced things that we don't think about for inclusion,” Boggins said. 

Aside from supporting a good cause, Boggins may have found a few wardrobe additions as well. 

“I found two things that I’m very indecisive about, but we shall see,” Boggins said, chuckling.

Proceeds from the clothing swap will go to the club to fund other CAGE events and projects, Philipps said.

Those other initiatives include The Clothesline Project, a collaboration between CAGE and the Orange County Rape Crisis Center. This allows survivors of sexual assault to tell their stories anonymously on clotheslined T-shirts throughout campus and other public areas, according to Phillips and the CAGE website.

Eve Golecruz, a communications and chemistry major, stopped by the swap in search of a pair of mom jeans. 

“It’s definitely cool and I kind of wish it happened more often,” Golecruz said. “I appreciate it because it's like Goodwill almost, where we re-use clothes and it's great idea.”