Column: We're doing 2020 a little differently

Ana

The OC Voice is a portion of the OC Report newsletter where local residents may have a platform to talk about local issues they care about. City & State Editor Anna Pogarcic discusses what you can expect from the DTH as the 2020 election approaches. 

We've touted our commitment to providing you with elections coverage before, but this year, we're trying something a little different: we want you to be a part of the process.

2020 is set to be an important election, and we think all of our readers, especially our younger audience, should feel empowered to believe that their vote matters. So, not only are we putting out stories outlining the candidates and issues you need to know about as you go into the voting booth, but we're creating an election center right here on our website.

It will have all of these stories, as well as our boiled-down voter guide. Also, make sure to follow us on Twitter, and look out for us in the community as we cover candidate forums (like the Orange County Commissioners forum on Monday!)

And it's not stopping at stories. As your local paper, we want to help you in whatever way we can, so tell us what you want from us! It's that simple.

We want to hear what questions you have, so we can answer them. That can be anything from how you can register to vote, or where the Orange County Commissioner candidates stand on funding for local schools.

We'll be hosting listening sessions on UNC's campus throughout the year to solicit this feedback as well, and we're excited to partner with student groups such as Mi Pueblo.

Our email and Twitter inbox are always open. Ask away.

If you live in Orange County and want to make your voice heard on something you care about locally, email city@dailytarheel.com.

Anna Pogarcic

Anna Pogarcic is the editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel. She is a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill studying journalism and history major.