Terry Rhodes, currently the interim dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, will take on the role of dean officially on March 1, according to a Friday message from Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz. 

Rhodes began as interim dean of the College of Arts and Sciences in February 2019, shortly after Guskiewicz left the role to become interim chancellor. 

“I’m deeply honored to be following in Kevin’s footsteps as dean,” Rhodes said in a statement. “The College is where students come to get an arts and sciences education that is both broad and deep. They inspire us with their dreams and their determination. Our faculty are world-class, our staff unrivaled in their dedication to this place.”

According to Guskiewicz's message, Rhodes has introduced several initiatives during her time as interim dean including Reckoning:  Race, Memory and Reimagining the Public University;  Countering Hate: Overcoming Fear of Differences; and the Program for Public Discourse. 

Rhodes served as senior associate dean for fine arts and humanities in the College of Arts and Sciences before becoming interim dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. According to the message, she is the first faculty member from fine arts to become dean of the College since it took its current name in 1935. 

Rhodes will oversee more than 17,000 undergraduate students and almost 2,500 graduate students as dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.