UNC baseball routs MTSU, 15-3, with solid play from first-years in season opener

Joey Lancellotti St. John's

Joey Lancellotti (36) pitches against St. John's on Feb. 21 at Boshamer Stadium.

The North Carolina baseball team opened its 2020 season on Friday afternoon with the first game in a three-game home series against Middle Tennessee State. The Tar Heels were able to exploit the Blue Raiders’ defensive weaknesses, emerging as 15-3 winners in their first game of the season.

Middle Tennessee opened the scoring with two runs in the top of the second inning, including this season’s first home run in Boshamer Stadium. However, a defensive collapse from the Blue Raiders allowed the Tar Heels to score 10 unanswered runs by the end of the fourth inning. Middle Tennessee would not score another run until the seventh inning.

With two men on base from errors, first-year catcher Eric Grintz stepped up and hit a double to left-center field, driving sophomore right fielder Caleb Roberts and first-year third baseman Patrick Alvarez home for two RBIs to open the scoring for UNC. A base hit from junior second baseman Mikey Madej also brought Grintz home, before a fielder’s choice out at second ended the inning. 

In the third, junior starting pitcher Joey Lancellotti was able to load the bases via a walk, with an ensuing base hit from sophomore left fielder Angel Zarate giving the Tar Heels another run and keeping the bases loaded. A sacrifice fly from Alvarez gave North Carolina yet another run, closing out the third inning a 5-3 lead.

The fourth inning saw the Tar Heels score five huge runs, largely due to continued defensive woes from the Blue Raiders. Sophomore first baseman Aaron Sabato’s second at-bat saw a passed ball that shifted runners to second and third. Then, a throwing error on his next hit saw him record an RBI and send a man to third base. Sophomore shortstop Danny Serretti recorded a base hit, sending home another score and leaving men on first and third.

Soon after, Lancellotti stepped up and doubled to center-field, driving in Sabato and Serretti for the two-run double. Yet another error saw Zarate reach second base on a bunt, also allowing Lancellotti to score. After a pitching change, the Blue Raiders were able to close out the inning down 10-2.

In the bottom of the eighth, after the last three innings saw only a single run from Middle Tennessee, the Tar Heels capped the game off with another five runs. Middle Tennessee relief pitcher Braden Jones gave up four walks, including one with the bases loaded to send first-year catcher Will Stewart home. 

Serretti and Zarate also collected RBIs, but the last big play came from Grintz, who sent a ball down the left-field line for his second two-run double of the game. A strikeout and groundout would close out the eighth, before a scoreless top-of-the-ninth allowed North Carolina to claim its 15-3 victory.

Grintz was one of the standout players of the game, going 2-for-5 with four RBIs in his first collegiate game. Sabato and Serretti each had three runs of their own to bolster the offense.

Lancellotti showed his versatility at the plate, recording two hits in only three at-bats, as well as two RBIs. He also had a good outing on the mound, only giving up two earned runs and recording five strikeouts in his 5.1 innings pitched.

After the five-run fourth inning saw UNC double its score, there was very little doubt that MTSU would be able to overcome a 10-2 deficit. One last run from Middle Tennessee in the seventh was as close as the Blue Raiders would come to a rally.

With so much of the 2019 Super Regional starting lineup gone, there were doubts about whether or not this team would live up to its high expectations. However, this game saw three first-years record RBIs, and showed that experienced players like Sabato and Serretti have set the standard for the younger players on this team.

The Tar Heels play the second game of the series against the Blue Raiders at Boshamer Stadium on Saturday at 2 p.m.

@pjdaman12